Meet Harris Miller: Brand Ambassador for Salmon Cove!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Harris Miller: engineer, sailor, and Brand Ambassador for Salmon Cove. Salmon Cove is a preppy, distinctive, confidence-inspiring clothing brand here in the midwest, and Harris is Northwestern’s representative, bringing preppy style to our campus just in time for the summer. 

Tell us about Salmon Cove:

Salmon Cove is a Midwest-based preppy lifestyle brand.  They cater to preppy style lovers, and anyone who enjoys classic Midwestern actives like golf and sailing.  Their Chicago home base makes Salmon Cove a little rebellious; they exemplify their mascot and really do “swim against the current.”  A lot of brands have started aiming towards the coasts, but Salmon Cove is staying true to its Midwestern roots.

What about Salmon Cove is great for college students?

Salmon Cove is great for college students because it allows classy, well-dressed students to present themselves in a unique way.  A lot of preppy students can be seen wearing the exact same clothes and brands, but Salmon Cove allows prepsters to separate themselves from the pastel and seersucker pack.  Their clothing is really versatile, and can either be worn casually or dressed up for formal occasions.  The clothing is really high quality, and is what I look for first when getting ready each morning.

What do you do as a Brand Ambassador here? How did you get this position?

I first became involved with Salmon Cove after talking to a friend of mine who is doing some marketing for them.  I asked her about the brand and what she was working on, and I knew I wanted to become involved.  She set me up with Charlie and Owen, the two guys in charge, and they love their brand and were super enthusiastic to have me on board.  After wearing the clothing and getting to really experience the brand, I was hooked.

As Brand Ambassador I work on social media and face-to-face on campus exposing students to the brand and spreading my own enthusiasm to fellow Wildcats. With a brand this awesome, the work is easy. 

What else do you do on campus?

I am on the Northwestern Formula Racing team, an engineering club that designs, builds, and races an open-wheeled car each year.  I’m part of Design for America, which has really made me a more creative thinker.  I’m also a Tour Guide, and it’s been a really unique experience to be on the other end of the college process.  Last but not least, I’m in a fraternity.

What are your career aspirations?

Optimally, I’d like to be an automotive engineer…  Or maybe a product designer…  Or maybe work in venture capital?  What Charlie and Owen are doing with Salmon Cove also seems like a dream job, so that’s always on the table.  I guess it’s up in the air. 

Tell us about your best first date!

I think my best first date was also my worst first date.  I invited a girl to go sailing, and we had a blast.  However, I was more focused on our conversation than actually sailing itself, and when we jibed the we capsized and got tossed out of the boat.  This usually isn’t a problem, you can right a smaller boat pretty easily.  However, the water was freezing, and on top of that, I had the added embarrassment of having the Coast Guard coming over and make sure we were okay.  They even asked if I knew how to sail, or if we needed someone to help us back in.  Despite being on the brink of hypothermia, we had a really fun time.  She agreed to another date after that, so I guess it wasn’t so bad!

What do you do for fun?

I really enjoy playing tennis, sailing, and skiing.  I’m also a fan of Formula One racing and a baseball guy.  I haven’t been to Wrigley yet, but I heard it’s a great experience; when my younger brother comes out to visit me next year, we’ll go see a game.

Tell us something surprising about yourself:

Last summer, I rebuilt and restored an old BMW in my garage with my dad.  It was such a cool experience and great bonding time with my dad before going off to college.