This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Refusionshaka is the annual dance show where three of Northwestern’s dance groups, Refresh, Fusion and Boomshaka, come together to put together a show with “more beats than your body can handle”! There will be three shows this upcoming weekend: Friday at 9 p.m. and Saturday at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.  

Andrew is in the middle of the back row.

When did you start dancing and who taught you?

I started dancing around 7th grade middle school and I remember my first couple of dance moves were the arm and body wave, moonwalking and teaching people how to jerk! Unfortunately, I gave up dancing in high school but casually dougied at parties. After coming to NU, I decided to pick up dancing again and auditioned for Fusion. I would have to say Jabbawockeez on ABDC and YouTube have inspired me and taught me how to dance. 

As a freshman what’s been your favorite thing about being in Fusion?

My favorite thing about Fusion is the camaraderie between the group. Everyone takes care of each other in both dancing and life and it has truly become a family in such a short amount of time. 

Who’s your Fusion  mentor and how has he/she been a support to you?

My Fusion mentor is Grant Hou and he has literally been an amazing mentor to me. Whenever I need help with specific dance moves, styles of dancing, life or even good ol’ girl problems, Grant is always there for me and has truly made an impact in both my dancing career and life. 

What pieces will you be dancing in and which piece are you most excited to dance in?

I will be dancing in Sensual, 4 pieces from the Fusion Set, Isos/Popping and Nerds Get Lit. I am excited for the Sensual dance piece because this will be the very first time I dance an extremely sensual piece, so we shall see how it goes this Friday and Saturday!

Favorite memory while preparing for this show?

My favorite memory was when the people in the show were outside the auditorium were all chanting that they’re hungry and then seeing how excited everyone got once their food arrived.

What do you expect Refusionshaka will be like?

I hope Refusionshaka is filled with excited loud students ready to see an amazing show! Remember, the show has “more beats than your body can handle” so come prepared!

Get your tickets for Refusionshaka today! Information can be found on the Facebook event page. 
Fusion sneak peek videos can be seen on the Fusion Facebook page!