free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Ashley is a writer and marketing director for HerCampus- she also works at Victoria’s Secret. Because the Victoria’s Secret Fashion show aired recently, we thought it would be great to interview her about everything on the job, from folding panties to talking to women about their body image!

Name: Ashley Braddock

Year: Sophomore

Major(s): Economics and Political Science

Hometown: Omaha, Nebraska 

How did you start working at Victoria’s Secret?

I started working at Victoria’s Secret my senior year of high school. I had always enjoyed shopping in the store and thought it would be a great place to get experience while having fun. I was completely right, it’s the best job I’ve ever had and I have the most amazing boss in the world. The atmosphere and girls I work with are all amazing. I enjoy fashion and watching trends and being able to work in one of the most well-known fashion companies in the industry has been very beneficial for me. 

What are your favorite and least favorite things about the job?

My favorite part is being able to help a customer find exactly what they’re looking for. It’s rewarding when they leave the store and buy an item that you recommended to them or working through any issues that they had with merchandise until they find something that is perfect for them. My least favorite part is folding the panties. Not that it takes a long time, but there are so many of them, and within 5 seconds of someone searching through a drawer, they get messed up. It seems like a waste of time, but it’s a lot more organized when they’re folded nicely.

What advice do you have for women buying bras?

Women should be remeasured every six months, since our bodies fluctuate throughout the year from stress, weight gain/loss, and hormone changes. We measure for free at Victoria’s Secret! Anyone that feels uncomfortable with the thought of being measured shouldn’t worry- we do it over your shirt or bra. 80% of the support from the bra comes from the band- and you want it to be tight. When you buy a bra, it should be worn on the “loosest” band clasp. The more you wear the bra, the more it will stretch out, and you want to be able to move the band in so it will continue to fit tightly-and be supportive. Also, the wires will only poke out of the bra if it’s old or you’re wearing the wrong bra size.

Has this experience given you any insight on body image or the media?

I really believe in supporting other women and making everyone feel special. The media seems to always think someone is either too skinny or overweight and points out “flaws”. It’s sad that people feel the need to tear others down in order to make themselves feel better. I measure dozens of women every day and I’ve seen it all. Our bodies are beautiful and there is nothing to be ashamed of. I’ve had a lot of women come into VS and say “I could never wear something like that, it wouldn’t look good on me.” And to anyone that ever feels that way, I have to say that you are a beautiful, confident woman and you should wear whatever you want. Yes, the models are stunning and I personally admire them, but everyone of us is equally as amazing in our own way. I have a sign in my room that says “If you feel beauty you are beautiful” and I absolutely live by that and believe that as long as you’re happy with yourself, that’s all that matters, because the right person will fall in love with your personality before your looks.

Hi! I am a social policy major from San Francisco, California. Some of my favorites things to do are thrift shopping, exploring museums, and drinking tea. My role models are 90's TV heroines, and I love foggy days. I am super excited to be writing for HerCampus!