This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Midterm week? More like midterm month. It is only five weeks into classes and Northwestern students have already been plagued with tests, papers, projects, and applications. And that’s just the academics! Somehow, someway, students need to find time to work out, eat (between the hours of 5 and 7pm, mind you), go to club meetings, do laundry, and run errands. Is there such a thing as free time?

If you feel like there’s not enough time in the day, don’t worry – I got you. Try these tips for maximizing your academic time and making the most effective use of it. By the end of the day, you’ll even be able to squeeze some “me” time into your crazy schedule. 

1) Multitask  

Stuck between wanting to study and needing to work out? Combine the two. Bring your notes with you to the gym and read while on the elliptical or treadmill. Pro tip: look for a machine that has a ledge so you can play your book there. Bring a binder clip to keep it open. This isn’t limited to just working out – try studying waiting for the bus or for class to start. The possibilities are endless. 

2) Building hop 

Have 10 minutes of down time? Don’t spend it checking notifications on Facebook. Head into the nearest building and do some work. Most buildings (like Annenberg, Kellogg, and Locy Hall) have benches where you can camp out for a bit. Since classes are most likely going on, you can get some work done without having to worry about being interrupted by friends. 

3) Set goals THEN take a break

The feeling of FINALLY finishing an assignment is amazing. Replicate it by setting mini goals – like finishing a page or completing a problem set – and go take a break! If you take a random break in your studying, changes are you’ll have a hard time getting back into it again. By setting goals, you’ll be able to feel like you’re actually tackling your work, and not just drowning in it. Plus, your Starbucks run will be justified (and much deserved). 

4) Schedule your week 

Take the time on Sunday to write out everything you need to do for the coming week. Plan what you want to get accomplished each night and stick to it! Checking off things on your to-do list during the week helps keep you on track and focused. If something doesn’t get done one night, you know what you’ll need to do the next night. Also, make sure to plan other things you need to do, like laundry, calling your parents, grocery shopping, etc. It’s easy to forget when you’re so busy with school but they’re just as important.

5) Avoid temptation 

There has been so many times I went back to the dorm to “study” only to get sidetracked by all my friends in my hall. Avoid it! While the library can seem lonely, it’s so much better to get everything done in a location where you know you won’t be distracted than to return and get totally sidetracked. When you return to your dorm later, you’ll feel better knowing everything is done and you can relax. 

Photo credit: http://thewvsr.com