This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

To quote Game of Thrones: “Winter is coming.”

Indeed, places like Chicago and the East Coast take the cake for freezing cold winters (not to mention the Polar Vortex of last year). But what does a collegiette do when she really wants to wear a crop top to the next party? I introduce: The FracketÔ.

Let me first define this lovely term: the fracket is the perfect mixture of the words “frat” and “jacket”. It is the run-down, ugly, cheap, but warm jacket worn over your cute party outfits to keep you warm on those crazy winter (or fall) nights. It MUST be a coat you don’t care about and wouldn’t mind losing or getting drinks on it! Thus, finding the perfect fracket becomes a modern day collegiette issue.

Well, search no more, because I have the perfect frackets for you!

1. The Middle School Fracket

www.thenorthface.com

This fracket is awesome because for one, you already own it! It is that jacket you’ve had since middle school (that was probably a little too big back then) that you don’t really care about because it is old and worn. The classic North Face fleece is perfect for this example—it’s the perfect warmth!

Note: feel free to search for other variations of this jacket! Any old coat lying in the back of your closet that you don’t care about should do.

2. The Walmart Steal

We all know Target is a haven for shopping, but Walmart? Although it may not be your usual store, I am telling you now there are GREAT options for frackets! These two jackets are not only puffy and warm, but also less than $20 so you can use your money on a cute outfit instead. 

1, 2

3. The Amazon Steal

Amazon has tons of options for frackets as well. If you don’t like puffy coats, don’t be afraid to search for some more fashionable options like the pea coat!

1, 2

4. Recycled Fracket

Who says you need to find a fracket in a store? Poshmark is a website that lets people sell items from their closets, which means that prices are marked down and can change according to the vendor. Best part? Some are brand name!

1, 2

5. The Consignment Fracket

www.marshalls.com

Another place where frackets await are consignment shops. Evanston’s Crossroads or other stores like T.J. Maxx or Marshalls are the perfect place to find a fracket!

Happy shopping!