This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Since last week, 84 cases of E. coli from the consumption of Yuma, Arizona’s romaine lettuce has affected Americans in 19 different states. According to The Washington Post, Yuma lettuce usually appears in the produce section of grocery stores during winter months, and the country’s spring greens come from California’s Central Valley. A warning, however, remains in place by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, stating the importance of avoiding the consumption of all romaine lettuce.

E. coli is a dangerous bacteria that, in its most fatal capacity, can cause kidney failure. This bacteria affects people of all ages, including teenagers like Californian Izabella Radovich, a 16-year-old who had recently started eating more salad to maintain a healthy diet. Days after consuming some of the tainted lettuce, she was rushed to the hospital and will remain there until the E. coli strand leaves her body. The infection of lettuce seems like a trivial issue to those unaffected, but when you stop and think about how often the vegetable appears in our lives (side salads, burrito bowls, hamburgers, etc.), awareness of the ongoing outbreak remains important. 

To look on the brighter side, take this month to step away from romaine leaves and try new veggies! As the weather becomes warmer, the spring season brings tons of new produce to markets including broccoli, mushrooms, peas and radishes. These can be purchased in most grocery stores or in local farmers’ markets. In the meantime, remember to wash your hands regularly as well as clean all produce before consuming them in order to stay healthy and avoid bad germs.

Laurel Wholihan

Northwestern '20

Northwestern Contributor 2020