Style

I Tried SheIn.com; Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

If you read my previous thrifting article, you know that I’m a supporter of trendy fashion at a low cost to my wallet. As a result, I often find myself trying out websites that offer insane deals, but are also just a tad bit sketchy. For example, this past month, I placed an order at SheIn.com, a website that has mixed reviews (at least from what I know). Now I can share my experience so that you know if the website is too good to be true – or not.

Shipping:

I ordered a total of nine items in three different orders (after I made my first, cookie ads kept showing me deals I had missed, and I couldn’t – don’t judge me). Two of the orders were processed and shipped within a few days, and then arrived in less than two weeks. This may seem long, but the shipping was free, so I couldn’t complain. The third order, however, took quite a bit longer because one of the items I wanted was out of stock. Eventually, I received an email explaining that they couldn’t fulfill the item request and gave me a refund. It was credited to my account, that I could then transfer back to my credit card. Overall, while the whole process did take a long time, I wasn’t that frustrated – probably because my expectations were not that high.

Prices:

Like I said, everything on this website is cheap, at least in comparison to other stores. Most of the items that I purchased were discounted from the normal price, so that made me even happier. I managed to find most items for $15 or less.

Sizing:

Several of their pieces are one-size-fits-all (which we know is always a lie) and I haven’t seen any options below small or above extra large. Therefore, I think it’s safe to say that they are not fitting to most body types, which is beyond disappointing.

Deals:

They give $3 off your first order, which isn’t a lot, but I still appreciated it. There is also a point system! With every item you purchase you earn points, and you can also leave item reviews to earn even more. 100 points is equal to $1, so over time, you can build up a reasonable discount!

Expectations vs. Reality:

*All of the prices I listed were when I purchased them (some of them have changed since).

Pink Boat Neck Dropped Shoulder Ripped Sweater, $8

Expectation: An oversized sweater that I could hopefully wear as a dress (with shorts underneath, of course).

Reality: One-size-fits-all was a success for me, at least on this item. The material is stretchy and loose enough that the sweater fits oversized, just how I wanted it

Navy Marled Knit Patch Long Cardigan With Pockets, $11

Expectation: A cute, baggy cardigan with trendy patches.

Reality: This time, one-size-fits-all failed me. I don’t read measurements unless I’m trying to understand the size guide, so that’s my own fault. This sweater is pretty tight on my arms, which makes it slightly uncomfortable. However, the patches are still adorable, so I wouldn’t say this purchase was a complete mistake.

Color Block Avocado Design Snakeskin Trim Crossbody Chain Bag, $21

Expectation: A small and simple purse that looks like an avocado. What more could I ask for?

Reality: I’m obsessed with avocados. And I am now even more obsessed with this purse. It is better quality than I expected, and it’s larger than I had anticipated (but not too big to look weird when wearing it). Highly recommend this item for avocado lovers!

Ripped Drawstring Waist Rolled Hem Blue Denim Shorts, $17

Expectation: Baggy and ripped shorts that are a decent length (not short enough to show off my butt, but not too long so they look like capris).

Reality: In terms of the length, these hit my expectations spot on. The only qualm I have with this item is that they aren’t as loose as I had hoped (maybe I should have ordered a size up). They tend to ride up in between my legs, which isn’t flattering.

Vintage Plaid Fringe Trim Shawl Scarf, $9

Expectation: An oversized scarf that I can wear as a shawl or maybe even a blanket.

Reality: This was a success. It’s not the largest scarf, and it’s definitely not super soft, but it gets the job done. I also really enjoy the pattern. The only odd thing is that it has a weird smell, but that can be fixed with a good load of laundry.

Scoop Neck Backless One-Piece Swimwear, $10

Expectation: A sleek black one-piece that rises high on my thighs and drops low on my back (very sexy).

Reality: Sexy doesn’t even begin to describe this bathing suit. I ordered a size up based on reviews, and while it fits, it definitely isn’t the most comfortable swimsuit. To be frank, there is A LOT of side boob going on. However, it’s exactly what I was looking for, so I’m happy!

Blue Striped Off the Shoulder Ruffle Dress,  $15

Expectation: A simple and cut off-the-shoulder striped dress perfect for the spring and the summer. This item is very trendy right now!

Reality: I have to say, this is my favorite purchase. I sized up to ensure that the dress wasn’t too short, which was a good idea, because it’s now the perfect length. The material is light, but not transparent, and the ruffle on top covers my chest so I don’t feel exposed when I don’t wear a bra with it.

Black Elbow Sleeve Ruffle Hem Top, $15

Expectation: A twist on the classic oversized t-shirt coming from the peplum ruffle at the bottom.

Reality: This hit all of my criteria. It’s loose and relaxed, with that slight boxy feel that I always look for. The material is not too thick and not too thin, which makes it ideal for all seasons of the year.

Biggest Tip:

Read the reviews! That helped so much in terms of which items were worth a chance, and also if I should size up or down.

At the end of the day, if you’re willing to take a risk for bargain fashion, I’d say that SheIn.com is a good place to start. They aren’t a scam (at least from my experience) and their items are high-trend for a low-cost – who can argue with that?

Elissa Gray

Northwestern '20

Elissa is a Northwestern junior in Medill studying journalism and political science. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, where her love for sushi, avocados, and hot cheetos all began. When she isn't wasting away in the library, she can be found binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix, and dreaming about her favorite place in the world, Disneyland.