“I Tried” Going into Chicago Once a Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

When friends from home and relatives ask me how I like college life at Northwestern, I mention all the basics: “My classes are interesting and challenging, the weather is confusing, and I have some of the best friends I could ask for.” What throws most people off guard is my uncanny rant about my love for Chicago and my valliant effort to get into the city at least once a week. Here is how I made it all possible…

The Older Brother

Having family in the city makes a trip out there all the more appealing. I honestly contribute my lack of homesickness to having family so close to my life here. When I need someone to talk to outside of my on-campus life here, my older brother is just an El ride away. Having a home away from the dorm to relax in makes all the difference. It is also nice running into him for nights out or shooting him texts for recommendations for things to do in the city. Having a local contact makes the city experience much more doable.  

Food Adventures

If you’re anything like me, you follow all of the Chicago food instagrams. When I feel like some non-dining hall grub, I stalk Chicago food ‘grams and recruit a friend. Sometimes I will just go into the city for a meal. A lot of Northwestern students feel that city trips have to be day-long commitments, but you can be in-and-out for a meal in three hours. A yummy meal and an instagram later, you will be prepared for life back on campus. 

The El

I personally find the El very relaxing. I often forget to set aside mindless time so it’s a great opportunity to catch up with a friend or devote an hour to personal reading. If I am anxious about devoting time in the city, I will bring work to do on the El. An hour passes so quickly, especially with the anticipation of going into the exciting city. Public transportation = productive therapy.

The Sights

Without the beautiful city so close, it would seem like a waste not to enjoy it. The sights within themselves are enough motivation to devote the time to the “Windy City”. You can take a walk on the Riverwalk, visit the Water Tower, check out the Art Institute or hang out on Navy Pier.

So there you have it – just a few of the reasons why my “I Tried to Go Into Chicago Once a Week” was worth it. If I can do it, so can you! Excuses will always be there, but the opportunity to live next to one of the greatest cities might not be, so take advantage!

Michelle is freshman in the Medill School of Journalism, Media, and IMC at Northwestern University. Michelle is originally from Menlo Park, CA--about forty minutes away from San Francisco and forty seconds away from Facebook HQ. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she can be found dancing. In fact, she's always dancing.