How to Maintain a Diverse Wardrobe on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Fashion is my one true love. Sometimes the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning is putting on an outfit that evokes my confidence, and allows me to feel cute and collected (even if my life is a complete mess). But even though I’ve always loved clothes, I’m a college student like everyone else, and I have to keep my budget in check so I can buy essentials, like textbooks, toothpaste and food (can’t always survive off hot cheetos). So if you’re looking to expand your wardrobe without breaking your wallet, I’ve got you covered. Here are my tips:

1. Spend more on basics, less on trends

There are specific things in my closet that I wear all the time, like my favorite black bodysuit or that one pair of denim shorts I got during American Apparel’s going-out-of-business sale. When I bought these pieces, I justified spending a bit more than I usually would because I knew they would serve me well for years to come. But when I’m picking out a dress for an upcoming event, or if I want to try out a crazy patterned pair of pants that I’m not sure if I’ll like, I always go for the cheapest version, whether it’s at Forever 21 or slightly sketchy websites like SheIn (which I reviewed before). That way, if I end up not liking the item as much as expected, or if it suddenly goes drastically out of style, I won’t feel like I wasted that much money.

2. Check out your local thrift store for sweaters, jeans and coats

These three things are some of the most expensive purchases, and simultaneously some of the most well-stocked items at thrift shops, at least in my experience. Sweaters are easy to find second-hand because they can oversized, so exact fit is less of a concern. For denim, there are endless choices, and if you don’t like the style of a pair of jeans, you can always alter them into shorts! Coats are something you might not expect to be a thrift store find, but trust me: my most trusted raincoat and my favorite peacoat are both from Goodwill. If you take the time to search, and you’re not afraid of sewing up a few holes or cleaning up some stains, you can save a lot of money on a jacket.

3. Take advantage of sales, especially on websites like Forever 21

Forever 21 might be cheap to begin with, but their sales will give you even more bang for your buck. Around every holiday they usually slash the prices on their sale items. I can always find a cart full of pieces that I’ve been lusting at for less than $10 each.

4. Use UNiDAYS to get the best discounts

If you have yet to sign up for UNiDAYS, you need to get on it. Now. It’s basically a website full of student discount codes for every brand from the moon and back. Levi’s, Hollister, Adidas – you name it, there is probably a coupon for you. I always use UNiDAYS when I’m splurging on an item from a more expensive brand so that I don’t feel so guilty because I still saved some money. And even if UNiDAYS doesn’t have a discount code, sometimes just googling for one will turn up a positive result.

Cover Photo Courtesy of PicJumbo

Gifs Courtesy of Giphy

Elissa Gray

Northwestern '20

Elissa is a Northwestern junior in Medill studying journalism and political science. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, where her love for sushi, avocados, and hot cheetos all began. When she isn't wasting away in the library, she can be found binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix, and dreaming about her favorite place in the world, Disneyland.