How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day Without Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

This is my first Valentine’s Day away from my significant other, and let me tell you, it’s hard. Walking around campus today and seeing everyone deliver Valentine’s Day grams, complete with roses and chocolate, makes me feel a little sad. It’s hard to feel the love from hundreds of miles away, but here’s what I did to make my Valentine’s Day a little more bearable.

1. Facetime

My boyfriend and I always set aside a substantial amount of time to Facetime during the week, but today was extra special. We took a few moments to tell each other about our day, and then did some Valentine’s Day Buzzfeed quizzes simultaneously to check our compatibility. This was a simple way to feel close to each other even though we’re not together.

2. Care Package

I mailed my boyfriend a Valentine’s care package with a card, some chocolates and a cute stuffed animal. This is a great way to let your S.O. know that you’re thinking about them. This doesn’t have to be elaborate by any means, an e-card is just as sufficient.  

3. Distract yourself

Valentine’s Day can feel lonely if you sit around thinking about how you would rather be somewhere else. That’s why I decided to host a little Galentine’s Day celebration. We ordered some food (including plenty of sweets), listened to some sappy music and watched a rom-com. There is no better way to spend Valentine’s Day then with your friends to keep your spirits high.

Valentine’s Day is only one day out of the year, so feel free to dedicate time to Facetime your S.O. or send them a surprise care package to keep the love going throughout the year. 

Gifs Courtesy of Giphy

Emily Norfolk

Northwestern '21

Emily Norfolk loves to write about silly everyday amusements. She often gets an idea in her head and cannot let go of it, but that is okay because she just rolls with it. She is constantly thinking of the next story to tell and on which platform. Emily is a lover of multimedia and the digital age. She tells everyone that we are living in a cashless society and to keep up with the trends. Trends and trendsetting are her thing, she wishes she was an IG influencer because she loves vlogging.