Get Ready for Agent Carter: Season 2!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

I’ve been into actions flicks and superheroes for a long time, but right now is a golden age for such things. Marvel is up to its neck in high grossing movies and TV shows and DC Comics might just catch up this year. And despite some flack for the lack of female representation (or maybe because of it), women in the Marvel Cinematic Universe are kicking butt. We have Black Widow, Scarlet Witch and, recently, Jessica Jones. But one of the best has her own show, which is starting its second season Jan. 19 on ABC.

Agent Carter is one of the most important women in the Marvel Universe, as a creator of S.H.I.E.L.D., a law-enforcement and counter-terrorism organization in the MCU, usually coinciding with the superheroes of that universe. She was also a huge factor in Steve Rogers becoming the world’s first superhero, Captain America. She is also the first Marvel woman to get her own television show, most likely leading to the creation, and great success of Netflix’s Jessica Jones.

Whether you’ve seen the first season or don’t even know about the show, here is why you should get hyped!

Hayley Atwell/Peggy Carter

Obviously Agent Carter herself is a huge plus when watching the show. She is fierce, classy and badass all at the same time. She can take a punch and give one just as well, being able to defeat 5 or more men by herself.

She handles 1940’s sexism with fabulous grace.

Plus, Atwell is beyond amazing as an actress. The way she can switch from high-functioning agent to sassy damsel to a vulnerable grieving lover is so mesmerizing to watch. There will definitely be many awesome moments this season.

1940’s Hollywood

Last season was set in New York, and the audience got the full view of it. From pier fights, to debonair nightlife, to all the skyscrapers of the time, it was one of the best period TV shows I’ve seen in awhile.

This season, Agent Carter will be set in the very glamorous 1940’s Hollywood. I’m expecting a very timey, noir feel. And I don’t think they will disappoint.

ACTION

Like I mentioned before, this is a TV show based on comic book characters, so the fights last season were intense and hugely satisfying. I’m getting ready for some great kicks and gun fights again! Plus, Dottie, a villain from last season, is poised to make a return. So you know Carter will meet someone up to her abilities.

Jarvis

There will definitely be more of the sassy butler this season. And who wouldn’t love that? It’s a dream come true!

Girl Power!

As you probably guessed, this is a show about a very intellectually and physically strong woman. She not only can hold entire missions on her own, but she can outsmart almost any opponent. With other female leads and Peggy’s ability to strike down casual sexism, this’ll definitely get your feminist heart pumping.

More Comic Book References

While last season did take lead from the Captain America comics and movies, as well as the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole, this season is said to have even more comic book tie-ins. There will be talk of “Zero Matter” which is really “Dark Force,” an obvious reference to Doctor Strange, who will have his own movie in 2016. So I will definitely be looking out for more Easter-eggs as the season progresses.

With all these factors in mind, plus the 95% “fresh” rating Agent Carter season 1 has on Rotten Tomatoes, this season is going to be a must-see. 

Alani Vargas

Northwestern

Alani is a native to Chicago with a passion for women's rights, journalism and coffee. She is a senior at Northwestern, majoring in journalism at Medill. She's on the magazine track and studied in Florence last fall, advancing her second major in history. Alani has written for Her Campus national and her Northwestern chapter since freshman year and is now the Editor-in-Chief and CC for her chapter. She's also currently a freelancer for Elite Daily When Alani isn't working, binge watching Supergirl, Buffy or the billion other shows she keeps up with, she enjoys music and geeking out over Star Wars or anything Marvel. Follow Alani on twitter and instagram at @alanimv!