Finals Ruining Finals: A Blackhawks Fan’s Struggle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

This has, by far, been the worst finals week of my Northwestern career yet. Since I’m in Medill, I never have finals in my journalism classes. But this quarter, I’m taking Intro to Macroeconomics, so obviously, that called for rigorous studying… and a lot of crying.

But that’s not the only reason this finals week sucked. The Blackhawks are playing in the Stanley Cup Finals. And while I have been waiting since October for this beauteous moment, I cannot enjoy it. I have to be stuck in my room or the library going over supply and demand.

On a usual game night, you can catch me yelling at my Mac in my room or in the lounge.

My friends know not to interrupt me or praise the opposing team, or else…

I would have my game time snacks near by, with Twitter open to air my frustrations, which is all I use it for during the game.

Even if it’s an intense game (and with the Blackhawks, it usually is), it’s a relaxing thing to just sit and watch your favorite team play.

Not to mention the gorgeous, athletic men (I’m looking at you Toews).

But nooooooo. I can’t watch the games to their fullest this year.

And why? Because of finals.

I’ll tune in for the beginning of the game, but, using an insane amount of willpower, I close the laptop to study.

I take another peek.

Up by 2. Hell yes!

Study time again.

Peek. WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE ARE DOWN BY 2 NOW? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!

Begrudgingly go back to taking practice exams.

Tune back in for the last 10 minutes. Hawks win!!!!

It literally takes so much energy out of me. I’m pooped. Done. Finished. But I still have 2 hours left of studying. And I have to do this whole thing all over again 2 days from now. Great.

Oh the things I do for my team. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. #BecauseitstheCup

Maybe no finals. Yeah, no finals would be a good thing. 

Alani Vargas

Northwestern

Alani is a native to Chicago with a passion for women's rights, journalism and coffee. She is a senior at Northwestern, majoring in journalism at Medill. She's on the magazine track and studied in Florence last fall, advancing her second major in history. Alani has written for Her Campus national and her Northwestern chapter since freshman year and is now the Editor-in-Chief and CC for her chapter. She's also currently a freelancer for Elite Daily When Alani isn't working, binge watching Supergirl, Buffy or the billion other shows she keeps up with, she enjoys music and geeking out over Star Wars or anything Marvel. Follow Alani on twitter and instagram at @alanimv!