Favorite Twitter Accounts: Who to Follow Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Since its launch in 2006, Twitter has continued to play a larger and more significant role in users’ daily lives. According to a 2012 Pew study, 15 percent of online adults use Twitter.  Eight percent of these people use Twitter on a daily basis. If you happen to be one of those people, it might be nice to refresh your newsfeed. Take a look at some of our favorites.

Entertainment

Lauren Caltagirone

@MrsRupertPupkin

Bio: I live in a hovel! And you live in a townhouse! I can’t believe this girl!

Sample Tweet: Look, I couldn’t be dating right now even if I wanted to because I’m SO busy… laundry… internet things…

She tweets a lot about her imaginary boyfriend and lack of engagement ring. Also, cats. Lots of tweets about cats.

Ken Jennings

@KenJennings

Bio: Ken Jennings is the author of the new book Because I Said So! Your grandma loves/hates him because he was on Jeopardy! for a long time.

Sample Tweet: Hey we got through the first decade of the 2000s without ever knowing what to call it…and it went ok! Good work everybody.

About 10 years ago, this guy won a ton of Jeopardy. Now he makes us laugh. What a guy.

San Francisco Fog

@KarlTheFog

Bio: All that is sunny does not glitter, not all those in the fog are lost.

Sample Tweet: Today’s high: 64 degrees. Today’s low: going to happy hour on an empty stomach and passing out on your couch by 9pm.

Never has San Francisco’s weather (or any weather, for that matter) been so intriguing. This Twitter account should start a new initiative to deliver all weather reports in comedic form. 

News

BBC Breaking News

@BBCBreaking

Bio: Breaking news alerts and updates from the BBC. For news, features, analysis follow @BBCWOrld (our World edition) and @BBCNews (our UK edition).

Sample Tweet: “I shudder to imagine damage that could have been” – Kenya judge gives two Iranians life terms for planning attacks

A favorite comprehensive news source, the BBC continues to offer consistent coverage of news from around the world. If you’re looking for one all-inclusive Twitter account to get your news from, this is a solid candidate.

Lisa Ling

@lisaling

Bio: Executive Producer and Host of OUR AMERICA on OWN and Co-Founder of secretsocietyofwomen.com

Ling’s tweets report relevant and informative news but with a more personal angle. Her involvement with Our America allows her to convey moving human-interest pieces that remain uncommon among the large news branches.

Andy Carvin

@acarvin

Bio: Senior strategist at NPR. Real-time informational DJ and occasional journalist, but not a social media guru. Author of the new book, Distant Witness. Proud dad.

Sample Tweet: Media reports say 15 killed in Bangladesh in clashes between police and Islamic hardliners wapo.st/10igT6O via @washingtonpost

If you really want to stay up on world news, Carvin’s your man.  Not only does he live tweet his experiences, he also provides helpful links to recent articles. Also, he has 162,023 tweets. This guy deserves some sort of award.

Celebrities

Anna Kendrick

@AnnaKendrick47

Bio: Pale, awkward and very very small. Form an orderly queue, gents.

Sample Tweet: Line at the airport Starbucks is starting to look like photos of bread lines in the Great Depression. Oh, the weariness!! The desperation!!

Audiences adored Kendrick in Pitch Perfect and her hilarious tweets only make her even more likeable. Her tweets kind of make you want to be her best friend

Rainn Wilson

@RainnWilson

Bio: I am an actor and a writer and I co-created @SoulPancake and my son, Walter.

Sample Tweet: I would totally cast Kim Jong-Un as Augustus Gloop.

Best known for playing Dwight Schrute in The Office, Wilson’s tweets often critique society, Hollywood in particular. He’s just as hilarious in 140 characters as he is on The Office.

Amanda Bynes

@AmandaBynes

Bio: Instagram amandabynes4386

Sample Tweet: Twerking Out

You wouldn’t want to miss any of the craziness in the downward spiral that is Amanda’s life, now would you? Although she is a woman of few words, she frequently posts photos of herself and they are well worth a follow. Do your thing, Amanda.