Face The World: Where Careers and Curling Irons Come Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

On Tuesday, May 21, the ground floor of Norris looked like a modeling shoot.  There were lit-up vanities, heaps of hair and makeup products, and perfectly lit white backdrop for taking photos.  However, what was happening was about more than beauty.  The setup was a part of P&G’s new initiative Face The World, a traveling campaign to help college students form their perfect online professional identity.  The campaign visited three schools to appeal to three different geographic areas: the University of Georgia (south) the University of San Francisco (west) and of course, our very own Northwestern (midwest, go ‘cats).  Professional stylists gave business-chic makeovers, followed by a photo shoot to achieve the perfect LinkedIn profile headshot.  Experts from LinkedIn reviewed profiles, giving out advice on how to individualize your profile to stand out to employers while remaining professional.  

I sat down with LinkedIn Sales Development Specialist Michelle Flacksman about the goals of Face the World and her personal career advice.

In your own words, what is the goal of Face the World? 

“We’re trying to… enhance their [college students’] profiles so that recruiters and companies can really notice them [and] so that they stand out among other students.”

What is the most important piece of advice you have for studnets on LinkedIn? 

“I really think … there are so many things you can be a part of.  Any experiences you’ve had, be it interning, volunteering … anything you’ve done, showcase it.  Students here are so involved, whether it’s through on campus organizations, internship opportunities, volunteer experiences, travel … I think that’s incredible.” 

What have you learned with your time at LinkedIn? 

“LinkedIn is about two different candidates: the active [someone looking for a new job] and the passive.  The passive candidate already loves what they do [and] is just looking to network and gain skills… employers seek those people out because they are already great at what they do and if the right opportunity were to come along, they would take it.”  

Post-chat, I got to undergo my own Face The World transformation, and because I love you all I’ll share a few tips I learned. 

1) Straighten yor necklace, straighten your skirt, but don’t straighten your hair. 

Whether in real life interviews or your LinkedIn profile picture, it is crucial to look approachable.  Straight hair can often look severe, while soft curls are friendly and inviting.  My stylist told me to keep them polished by using hairspray after each individual curl.   If, however, the idea of putting a 400° object to your head terrifies you (think about it, curling irons are SCARY) a high, bouncy ponytail can have a similar effect. 

2) 50% Smile, 50% Smize, 100% Perfection 

My own LinkedIn Headshot

While it’s important to look friendly in your LinkedIn picture, being too smiley, especially while stilll an undergrad, can make you seem immature.  Instead of putting all of your energy into a toothy grin, combine a natural smile with the classic, America’s Next Top Model “smize” (smiling with your eyes).  Reflecting emotion in your eyes AND your smile makes you seem genuine and mature, rather than fake and goofy. 

3) Care About Stuff

It could be cookies.  It could be your local animal shelter.  Whatever it is, odds are at least one potential employer will care about the same thing.  Take advantage of the “Volunteer Experience & Causes” section on your LinkedIn profile.  Common causes may help you connect with others, but even more importantly companies are looking for people who are passionate and selfless, not just those with technical skills.  Assuming they’re work-appropriate, don’t be afraid to list your personal interests.  It contextualizes you as an actual human being, not just a product on the labor market.  

I left Norris that day with a new headshot, hairstyle, LinkedIn profile, and, most importantly, a new way to face the world of real, working adults (me? adult?  I know, I have trouble believing it too). 

story photo credit

Julia Cohen

Northwestern

Julia is a wannabe Upper East Side socialite from Long Island, New York.  In her free time, she enjoys suffering through Blogilates, thinking of creative ways to use her blender, and fantasizing on the Lily Pulitzer website.  She hopes to use Her Campus as an outlet for her sassy wisdom, and she wants to let everyone reading her articles know that she loves them and wishes she could hand-deliver them all chocolate.