This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

A summer away from Heavanston, and it almost seems like a whirlwind of changes swept through to leave all the shops rearranged like misplaced Monopoly hotels. Where’s that NU-favorite yoga store with the strange red and white inverted horseshoe? And is there a new farm in town, or something? Just when you thought you had downtown Evanston memorized like the back of your hand, too. Luckily, we’ve got you covered with the details on the burgeoning and waning businesses since June.

FASHION

Francesca’s

Status: RELOCATED

Francesca’s, the preppy boutique for collegiettes loving high quality clothing and chunky jewelry, has moved (dangerously) closer to campus on Sherman Ave., luring the most eager student wielding the assortment of Francesca’s perks on the downtown Evanston app. Right next to Radio Shack, the new location features new window displays, albeit a cozier store atmosphere. No more “quick” stops on the way to the movie theater, but by all means, shop ‘til you drop after a long study session at Sherbucks.

lululemon

Status: GONE

The beloved store for “technical athletic apparel for yoga, running, dancing, and most other sweaty pursuits” found a place long ago in the hearts of many Northwestern girls. However, despite the multiple fitness options downtown, lululemon is no longer in Evanston. Lucky for lulu fans, the closest store is located just 3.8 miles away in Old Orchard for girls to get their leggings fix. In its place will be Protein Bar, a health food restaurant that serves everything from “bar-ritos” to chilis and salads.

FOOD

Farmhouse

Status: NEW & OPEN

New on Church Street, Farmhouse Tavern strives to provide an authentic tavern and kitchen experience for close friends or colleagues. Built almost 100% from reclaimed and re-used materials from real Wisconsin barns dating back to the 1850-1890s, the gastropub offers craft beers and a Midwestern-feel vintage dining experience, complete with rustic murals of, fittingly, barnyard animals. Farmhouse has been open since July, and is ready to serve in capacities ranging from cheese curds to stuffed trout dinners, to hosting banquets or teaching classes on the Art of Brewing. The prestigious Michelin 2013 Guide recommended the original Farmhouse location in Chicago’s River North.

Trader Joe’s

Status: NEW & OPEN

As if you haven’t heard, downtown Evanston now hosts a Trader Joe’s down Chicago Ave., between the organic, full-priced Whole Foods and the thriftier Jewel Osco on the same street. Finally, collegiettes will be able to purchase non-gluten free cake mix, among other commonplace grocery items, aside from the Whole Foods mecca. So crazed were two Northwestern grad students that they camped out there the night before the long-awaited opening ceremony.

Lao Sze Chuan

Status: COMING SOON

A hands-down (or at least debatable) favorite for authentic Chinese cuisine in Chicago’s Chinatown, Lao Sze Chuan is scheduled to open a location in Evanston on Orrington Avenue. The restaurant specializes in spicy dishes from the Sichuan region, like spicy hot pot and dry chili chicken. No longer will this award-winning restaurant (winning the “Bib Gourmand” award from the 2012 and 2013 Michelin Guide among its most impressive) be an El ride away!

Forever Yogurt

Status: NEW & OPEN

Voted the Best Froyo Chain by Time Out Chicago and the Best Frozen Yogurt by Chicago Reader in 2012, the newest dessert addition to downtown Evanston is Forever Yogurt, located conveniently on Sherman Ave. next to Einstein’s and Taco Bell. The chain brings some competition to the Red Mango on Davis in terms of location and its rotating selection of the company’s 96 flavors, including some unconventional ones like salted caramel popcorn, red velvet, and campfire marshmallow.  As if that weren’t enough, the true test of their cult-following can be seen in is the Grand Opening last Saturday in which NU students camped out for five hours in order to win free frozen yogurt for a year.

Olive Mediterranean Grill

Status: COMING SOON

Olive Mediterranean Grill is slated to open in Starbuck’s old location on Sherman Avenue this fall. With two other locations in Chicago, Olive uses all-natural ingredients and will be among the minority serving specialties such as shawarma, kabobs, hummus and baba ghanouj. Looks like Davis’ Olive Mountain has some competition.

Alice Zhang

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.