This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It is often hard to find self-published Amazon ebooks that are thorough, practical and interesting to read, especially in regards to financial advice. As someone who dreads the 9-5 workday, and inspired by Meagan Hooper – who quit her Wall Street job after ten years, and whose online website I interned for in the summer of 2017–, I find myself trying to find ways outside the traditional 9-5 to make income. This is all the more important when job security is ever more scarce and layoffs could easily occur as they did in 2008 financial crisis. The book, Job Free: Four Ways To Quit The Rat Race And Achieve Financial Freedom On Your Terms by Jake Desyllas, describes four ways to achieve financial independence and escape the rat race.

Image Source: The University of York

I enjoyed the book as, unlike many others, it did not push one to become an entrepreneur; it respects that not everyone has an interest in creating their own business, or a high tolerance for risk, since most entrepreneurs fail to make a profit. Besides entrepreneurship, one could live frugally, saving 50 to 75 percent of their income to put into investments. With this saving rate, many were able to quit their job in ten years; this method I found the most feasible as it is relatively low risk and does not require as much devotion of capital as  entrepreneurship. Another was “unjobbing” (i.e., freelance or contract work) and lifestyle businesses such as a personal blog.

All in all I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in creating sources of income other than through a full-time 9-5 career. Its simple, practical advice is refreshing and its consideration of options other than starting a business to achieve such independence made it relatable and will hopefully inspire you to take charge of your financial future, just as it did for me.

I am in my second year at Medill. I am interested in issues of race, gender, diversity, international politics, and arts/culture. When I am not busy in class or writing for Her Campus, I can be found quietly listening to music or strolling on campus.