Eight Ways to Make Your Summer Staples Wearable for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Shopping for summer clothes is easy and fun – the options are endless and everything seems to look good. Sadly, when living in Evanston, summer ends pretty quickly and your cute floral printed dress just doesn’t cut it in the cold winter. Summer clothes seem to have the most choices and the coolest patterns. Once winter arrives and the days get shorter, every morning we are waking up in the dark. Getting ready for the day when it is cold and dreary makes you favor endless sweatshirts over a sense of style. Dressing for cool weather is difficult enough, let alone trying to look cute while doing it. Here are eight ways to transform your adorable summer clothes into winter wear. It’s easier than you may think:

1. Summer Skirts 

The easiest way to make your summer skirts winter ready is to layer, layer, layer. Cool pattern tights, thigh-high socks, and thick knit leggings can all help you keep your legs warm against the winter cold.

2. Summer Dresses

Keeping your summer dresses cool for the winter is extremely easy. Pop a sweater over that floral summer dress and instantly turn it into a winter skirt! Putting on a button up or a long sleve shirt underneath a shift dress works just as well and leaves the pattern of the dress on display. Then pair it with a warm jacket and you are good to go!

3. Tank Tops and T-shirts

Tank tops are just as easy as summer dresses. Layering a longsleeve top under a tank top will transform it into a piece of warmth and style. Tossing on a cardigan or an oversized scarf can also keep you warm while baring your arms. 

4. Open Toe Heels

Pairing your summer open toed heels with a pair of socks or tights will amp up your outfit and give you a cool pop of color. It’s a bold outfit idea, but definitely one you can pull off.

5. Wearing White

Wearing white after Labor Day is back in, and the best way to capture that put-together and sophisticated style is by doing it with confidence. White in the winter is fresh and clean and looks ~edgy~. A thick white coat or a crisp white button down will also give your outfit a sense of modern style. 

6. Florals

Who said florals have to stay in spring and summer? Rocking the floral pattern all year round is absolutely possible if you layer and add a darker touch. Paired with a leather jacket, dark chunky boots and black tights, a summer floral can be transformed into the perfect winter outfit. 

7. Crop Tops

Crop tops don’t always have to bare too much skin. Paired with high waisted pants and a thick sweater, a crop top can be absolutely versatile for winter. With the thick coats you inevitably wear during the winter, it will add layers to your outfit that will stand out.

8. Shorts

Shorts are one of the main staples of summer and seem like the most difficult trend to wear in the winter. The best way to take your shorts out for a walk through the snow is by pairing them with warm boots and thick leggings, tights, or socks. Keeping your legs warm is essential and by layering your pieces, you will be able to stay happy and warm. A cozy sweater and a coat will also help keep your shorts from looking too summery. 

Images: HDWallpaperUp, Blogspot, Glamradar, Picture-cdn, Chaos Magazine, Pinimg, Ibstatic, Pinimg, Shopbop.