Dissecting P!nk’s Powerful, Rule-Breaking Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Five years ago, you couldn’t listen to a pop radio station for more than 10 minutes before hearing P!nk belting her ballad “Just Give Me a Reason.” But, then the rock superstar took some time off to spend time with her family while releasing a couple flawless singles like “Just Like Fire.” Finally, last month she returned to the spotlight. She attended the VMAs to accept the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, give an inspirational speech, sing a medley of her hits including a debut performance of her new lead single “What About Us.” It was as if she had never left.

This isn’t surprising for P!nk since she typically spaces her albums out over a years, making fans miss her voice and her ability to return to the music scene without following trends. Her upcoming album, Beautiful Trauma, is only her seventh album since releasing her first record in 2000. P!nk never fails to combine relevant and thoughtful lyrics with edgy, triumphant melodies that leave you feeling inspired and ready to hit replay.

P!nk began her career under Jive Records before releasing future material under RCA Records when the smaller division was disbanded in 2011. She started out as a R&B influenced artist with her early singles like “Most Girls” and “There You Go.” By her second album, she transitioned to her signature rock style with iconic songs like “Just Like a Pill” and “Trouble.”

Early in her career, P!nk was constantly compared to Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. In a recent interview with the New York Times, P!nk said, “I was never as big as Britney or Christina. If you look at any paragraph about pop music, I don’t get mentioned — my name doesn’t come up. And yet, here I go again, right under the wave, duck-diving.” Well, in my opinion, P!nk’s career has surpassed Britney and Christina’s because she has continued to write and release influential and powerful songs that are needed in the music industry today but still true to who she is as an artist.

She has remained relatable for years because her music focuses on genuine, raw emotion instead of the growing tendency for artist to release song with expected lyrics and repetitive choruses. She shares the demons she has faced in past songs like “Don’t Let Me Get Me,” and her ultimately defeating them in new songs like title track “Beautiful Trauma.” P!nk also makes sure her songs have a greater purpose and include social commentary. “Dear Mr. President,” arguably one of her best songs, can easily be played on the radio today as a reflection of what our society is currently experiencing. There’s no doubt that P!nk will sing, write and perform the way she wants.

The three songs previewed ahead of the album release on October 13 suggest that this will be one of P!nk’s best albums…so far of course. Plus, based on her VMA performance, fans can expect elaborate and entertaining live performances during this era. As she gets older, P!nk doesn’t shy away from experimenting with different types of production that include aerial, flying stunts and dancing. Her music and performances are fearless and unapologetic.

What separates P!nk from other artists today is that no one is comparable. She is the current queen of pop rock and has been for years. She continues to reigned in her own lane and her upcoming tour, documentary and album show she doesn’t plan on stepping down anytime soon.

Ariana is a Los Angeles native who is obsessed with fashion, celebrities, music, and food. She is a journalism student in Medill at Northwestern University who enjoys reading fashion and entertainment blogs and magazines. Ariana's favorite things to do are travel, explore Los Angeles, discover new music groups, and of course watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Ariana loves writing and sharing her experiences with you and hopes you enjoy reading her stories.