Death of a Bachelor Panic! at the Disco Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Most of us remember Panic! at the Disco as one of those bands with long black hair and thick eyeliner from our middle school days. Panic! has grown up, though, since the release of their first album in 2005, leaving behind only one founding member, Brendon Urie. As the sole person upholding the Panic! at the Disco name, Urie has wasted no time in releasing the band’s fifth album. First released on January 15, 2016, Death of a Bachelor debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 on February 6, proving that this one-man band is doing just fine.

Entirely written at Urie’s home in Los Angeles, the album is a mix of “Sinatra and Queen,” two of Urie’s biggest musical influences. Having been a fan since the band’s A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out days, I was more than excited to see what Urie would do with full control over the album, and I was not disappointed. Compared to Panic! at the Disco’s previous album release, Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!—which had a chaotic Las Vegas party vibe—Death of a Bachelor is the embodiment of pure enthusiasm and passion for music. Urie paints the album as homage to his younger self—in love with music and constructing homemade drum kits from the ground up. In a way, this album is Urie’s reconstruction of Panic! as a band and a reinvention of himself as a musician.

Death of a Bachelor tracks “Hallelujah,” “Victorious” and “Emperor’s New Clothes”—all great successes for Panic! in their own right—were first released as singles, making fans anxious with anticipation for the new album to be released. Now that I’ve listened to the entire album at least fifteen times, let me shed some insight on the album’s other tracks.

The album’s opening track “Victorious” is a motivational anthem combining everything fun and rambunctious about Panic! at the Disco that has not seen the light of day since their Pretty. Odd. era back in 2008.

The album as a whole mixes up this boisterous vibe and takes a turn toward Urie’s jazzier side. “Death of a Bachelor,” the album’s title track and a salute to Frank Sinatra, sinks into a comforting lament of the bittersweet end to an era—both in Urie’s personal life and for the band. This kiss goodbye is softened, though, by songs like “Emperor’s New Clothes” and “Crazy=Genius,” notably the most shocking songs on the album for their chaotic, upbeat tempos and displays of Urie’s high vocal range.

Some personal favorites off the album include “Don’t Threaten Me with a Good Time,” “LA Devotee” and “The Good, The Bad and The Dirty.” Not only were each of these tracks packed with catchy lyrics, but they also highlight the struggles—and good times in between—the band faced as they slowly fell apart and rebuilt their sound. Finishing off the album with “Impossible Year,” Urie pulls us right back in with his baritone tribute to Sinatra, reminding us where the music all began and saying a bitter farewell to the journey he endured to get where he is today.

Contrary to the album’s title, Death of a Bachelor is a celebration of freedom, newfound independence and reinventing yourself. Though it ends on a low note, the album as a whole was a refreshing break down of Panic! over the years and a great taste of what is in store for the future.

At first listen, the album might sound slightly messy, but after a few more plays, the transition from “Victorious” to “Impossible Year” feels like a trip through time—taking you all the way from the start of Panic! at the Disco to who the band is today.

Overall, Death of a Bachelor certainly has its good qualities. Though some long-term fans might be more partial to their earlier work, Panic! has definitely produced an album with some unexpected twists—which may even draw in a new and younger fan base.

The album is available online and in stores now, so give it a listen here and see what you think!

*All images found on Google Images.