Change of Taste: Different Interests in College is OK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

In high school, we all had interests that seemingly took over our lives. For some it was sports and others, debate or Model U.N. Or even certain subjects that we were sure will become our future career or that we loved to study so much that we can’t imagine our lives without it. However, college presents a new environment that frequently changes the way we see the world and what takes precedence in our lives. And this idea becomes something that is hard to get used to.

Realizing that your tastes are changing is difficult. When you invest so much of your time in something for so long, it’s hard to give up on it or leave it behind. For cross-country runner Ellen, running was her entire life. 

“In high school, my commitment to running determined almost everything I did,” she says. “My best friends were on the cross country team, I had to get my scheduled run in every day, even on vacations, and I was constantly monitoring myself to make sure the little things I thought would help me improve were getting done.”

But even when these things make us happy, there are times when we realize that the best thing is to let go. “After spending a few months at Northwestern I realized I was passing up a lot of great opportunities – things I had never considered I would enjoy,” Ellen says. “Now, I have found the balance between my old passions and my desire for new opportunities.”

The same goes for academic ventures. Northwestern freshman Irina says, “This transition has been tricky for me.” While she used to spend hours researching history for competitions, since coming to college her passion for history has been contained to the classroom. “I miss the hands-on feel of doing my own research. That being said, I’m excited to now have more time to focus on my academic studies.”

There are many reasons that a change in preference could happen, whether it be that the way the activity is conducted is different, the people aren’t the same, or you discover a new activity that you realize suits you way better than what you are used to. For any reason, this change is okay! Being young and in college we aren’t just allowed to change, we are encouraged to. It is important to realize that college is a great time to experiment with our interests, and that you are never tied down to something just because you have invested time in it. 

Just remember:
  1. We are young! We have so much times to explore our interests.
  2. You are not the same person you were in high school, and you can celebrate that!
  3. Changing interests is O.K. You invested time in it because you enjoyed it, but the second you don’t enjoy it anymore you can change. That time is not wasted.
  4. Keep looking for things that make you happy. Don’t fall into a pattern of activities just because it’s the norm!
  5. We are active and transformative human beings. There is no stage in our lives when we are stagnant! Allow yourself to flourish and change.

So get out there, try new things and don’t let your past interests hold you back!

Photos found through Google Images.