This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Welcome to the Bro Blog! Kylie came across the website 100redflags.com, so we aked out Bro Bloggers what they thought! They have some varied opinions on this one, check them all out and enjoy:)

Looking for a specific blogger? Click on their names to navigate to their post!
J.P. Bowgen
Mike Mallazzo
Northwestern Guy

[pagebreak]

The website 100 Red Flags supposedly outlines the real reasons “she” is still single. It’s fairly interactive and provides readers with some good laughs. It has some interesting anecdotes and funny pictures, but are their reasons legit? Absolutely not.

For example, Red Flag #51 states that she is still single because she gets dressed up to go to the airport. After some further investigation, readers find out that it’s because her outfit reveals that she has bags to check. There is no metaphor—she doesn’t have emotional baggage or anything. She simply has a few bags to check. Now, I don’t know about other guys, but this reason is incredibly stupid. It’s common sense that girls pack more clothes than guys so it can’t be a valid reason to explain why she is still single. In my opinion, this is strike one for 100 Red Flags.

Scrolling down a bit, we come to Red Flag #35. She wears TOMS. They explain that TOMS no longer hold any value. There used to be a time when people bought TOMS to support a worthy cause, but that time is long gone. Fortunately for 100 Red Flags, I agree. TOMS are not only too popular, but they also aren’t the nicest shoes to look at. Most guys will not pay much attention to your shoes anyway, but I assure you that they’ll pay even less attention to TOMS. Conclusion: don’t wear them.

Now, we have a tie–one good reason and one bad. So we’re off to Red Flag #2 and it’s not looking good for 100 Red Flags. The second reason is that she is a vegetarian and so she is single. This is a horrible and very incorrect statement. It makes guys look like complete a**holes. Choosing to be a vegetarian is a personal choice and if that makes guys less willing to try, then they aren’t worth your time in the first place. The article almost compares vegetarian eating habits to anorexia, so I have to call into question its author. Two people with different eating habits can coincide, so if she is a vegetarian, suck it up and leave her eating habits alone. Girls are more than what they eat.

The scoreboard stands at 1-2 and frankly, I don’t see the good reasons beating the bad ones any time soon.

Red Flag #14 says she doesn’t drink beer while watching the game. This reason is also dumb. Guys should know that many girls don’t like beer.

Red Flag #56 says she likes the Black Eyed Peas. Okay, music choice and being single sound stupid enough in the same sentence, so why try to correlate music choice with the lack of a boyfriend?

Red Flag #22 talks about having self-photos on Facebook. EVERY girl does this, so again, get over it.

And lastly, Red Flag #86 says she is single because she has never played on a sports team. I’m not only speaking for myself when I say dancers are the sexiest girls to run into. So there goes another Red Flag!

My advice: do not listen to this website. It’s headlines sound like muscle-bound misogynists write them. Continue to dress up for the airport and be a vegetarian. Even listen to the Black Eyed Peas and post self-photos on Facebook. You’re doing everything right.

But can you do me one favor? Don’t wear TOMS.

Go to the next page for Mike’s bro blog!
[pagebreak]

Salutations ladies,  
                I knew that I had imposters.  Apparently every guy with a computer is out there to give girls advice.  However, what my competition doesn’t understand is that this advice must not come not just from the Johnson, but from the heart as well.  With this in mind, I look at this http://100redflags.com/ mostly unimpressed.  First off, a good deal of their stuff has shown up right here on the bro blog already so they are just trying to ride my frat tank tails.  Though most of their red flags are true and the writers are quite funny, its unoriginal and more disturbingly it lacks the emotion and soul that I pour onto my keyboard every day for the Northwestern girls I love so dearly.  With this in mind, here are my 5 biggest red flags and what you can do to turn them green.

• Red Flag #1: She says that there wasn’t room for Leonardo Dicaprio on that block of wood floating at the end of Titanic.
    • This is very troubling.  Girls that say this are likely selfish and will leave us out to dry to save themselves.  It is clear that if Rose could have dragged Jack onto that block of wood and if you don’t want to seem like you only care about yourself, don’t argue this point.
  • Red Flag #2:  She always talks about how hot Heath Ledger was.
    • This makes us feel extremely inadequate.  We can deal with the Ryan Gosling talk but feeling like we play second fiddle in her fantasies to a guy that was the Joker and a gay cowboy is a bit emasculating.  If you’re going to talk about Heath, at least sugarcoat it by telling us something about us that we have that Heath doesn’t…. besides a pulse  
  • Red Flag #3: She doesn’t like piña coladas or getting caught in the rain
    • Piña coladas and getting caught in the rain are secretly something all guys like but in order to not feel unmanly, we justifying appreciating both because we know these are things our girls like.  So learn to like both of these things and start really living the life.  
  • Red Flag #4:  She looks down on fast-food restaurants
    • We like fast food because we’re men and we like girls that are happy to throw back the occasional Crunch Wrap Supreme.   While we understand that you like to watch your figure and stuff, at least come with us to McDonald’s and order one of those awesome sweet teas.
  • Red Flag #5:  She’s one of those women that prefers chocolate over sex
    • Do I really need to elaborate on this?

I don’t mind if you read 100redflags.com every once in a while but please promise you’ll come back to me for the heart and soul.  And whatever you do, never ever look at brobible.   
Agreeing with Markwell is also a red flag,
Mike

Read what “Northwestern Guy” has to say about 100 Red Flags!
[pagebreak]

Good day my ladies,

Hope you’re all enjoying your spring quarter.  I see you guys have been sporting some spring fashions like showing a lil’ skin and a couple bright colors.  In my marketing class, the only thing separating the girl’s outfits from something they’d wear out is a pair of heels.  I assume it’s because of the warm(ish) weather.  Or maybe you’re trying to impress that guy in your class?  It’ll probably work, especially since it’s easy to stand out at this school.  But maybe it’s not working.  Maybe the guy isn’t taking interest like you thought he would.  Could be something made him disinterested.  Sounds like something threw up the red flag.

This week’s post is dedicated to a website called 100redflags.com.  In short, it’s a website about what things girls do that throw up the red flag in guy’s minds. There’s some truth to this, but also some stretches.  Here’s what I think about some of the posts:

She’s a Vegetarian – HUGE red flag. I didn’t climb to the top of the food chain to eat leaves.  “But it’s good for your health.”  Have you seen vegetarians?  They look like they’re ready for the hospice.  Their skin looks yellow and flabby and they have no curves in their body.  It looks like someone draped skin over a skeletal structure and called it a day.  Plus, you have to assume she’s going to want you to try this style.  Or think about when you want to go out to dinner.  No more steakhouse.  Yeah, I know they have vegetarian options, but it doesn’t mean she’s going to feel comfortable.  The only way this red flag would go down is if she, “recently,” became a vegetarian.  Then I know this is probably just a phase and she’ll snap out of it eventually. 

She’s a One-Upper – The biggest red flag of all. Sound the anthrax alarm.  Call the police.  This, is a no-go situation.  If she has to be the best all the time, I’m out.  For instance, if I had a great day and start to tell her about it, and she cuts me off and tells me she had a better day just because, she’s a one-upper.  I think a better concrete example occurs at parties.  Let’s say she buys a new dress that she thinks will stand out more than any other dress.  You think she looks unbelievable, but some other girl at the party has a more outstanding dress.  Now my girl is pissed off all night because she’s not the best.  Now I’m not having a good time because of a very petty detail.  It’s like everything in life, there’s a balance and this overly competitive nature is something to run screaming from.

She’s Dated an Athlete – This one I don’t agree with.  I think this post was generated from the hurt egos of men who wanted to be athletes, but in reality sucked at sports.  And instead of shelving their shortcomings, they decided to write a post about it to keep women from going after guys that are better than average Joe’s.  I try to look at situations from the other person’s perspective.  So in this situation, I think, “What’s the male version of dating an athlete?”  Answer: Victoria’s Secret Model.  There isn’t a straight guy on Earth who would turn down that opportunity.  It’s cool and interesting.  Just like dating an athlete; it’s different, it’s interesting, it’s fun.  The only thing that red flags me if she dated an athlete: Is she a gold digger?  Other than that, nothing bothers me if she dated an athlete and now she’s dating me because on some planes, I’m on the same level as some guy who could dunk from the free throw line.   

She’s Never Seen Braveheart, Gladiator, or 300 – This is a real stretch.  These bros say that if a girl hasn’t seen these movies it’s a red flag.  That’s the equivalent of me watching “You’ve got mail” or “Eat, Pray, Love.”  Not happening, fact.  I think they were getting at the point of they don’t want a chick that won’t see any movies with violence or action.  But girls will see those movies because it just came out: Hunger Games, which in my opinion, is way more sick and twisted than the premises of any of these movies.  Think about it, Hunger Games is all about kids violently killing each other by spear, knife, or arrow.  Anyway, there is nothing girly about those movies.  And even if they did watch those movies, it’s because of the abs in 300, or they have some weird savage sex fantasy that involves Russell Crowe taking them in a prison cell.  You saw these movies, you didn’t, I’m not concerned, let’s go to dinner.

Hope this clarifies this website.  Here’s the bottom way to not be single: Be fun, be interesting, and understand that putting in a little extra effort into your outfit or hair will make a difference.  And from what I’ve seen around campus this spring, you guys already understand the last part.   

Curious who “Northwestern Guy” is? Check out his profile… maybe you can figure it out!

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo