This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

With the temperature slowly-but-surely dropping, it is the best time of the year to cozy up inside with a large bowl of soup and your favorite movie. Soups are often overlooked in the culinary world of college students due to the assumed long list of ingredients and extensive prep time. However, they don’t have to be so complex. Soups are a great option for college students since they are easy to store and can be reheated in just minutes when time is running low during busy weekdays. They also require minimal cooking supplies, which is an added bonus (no one likes washing dishes). Soups are healthy, inexpensive, and ~very~ tasty, as you can see in the recipes below.  Win, win, win.

1. Thai Pumpkin Soup

We all know that pumpkin is a fall staple, so what better way to get your fix than with a delicious and easy-to-make meal that will satisfy any craving? An added bonus is that this can be ready to eat in under ten minutes!

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 2 tablespoons red curry paste
  • 4 cups chicken broth (about 32 ounces)
  • 30 ounces pumpkin purée
  • 1 3/4 cups coconut milk (or a 13.5 ounce can, reserving 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 red chili peppers (large, sliced)

Here’s what to do:

In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the curry paste for about one minute or until paste becomes fragrant. Add the broth and the pumpkin and stir. Cook for about 3 minutes or until soup starts to bubble. Add the coconut milk and cook until hot, about 3 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of the reserved coconut milk and sliced red chilis. Garnish with cilantro leaves if desired.

2. Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

Sticking with the autumn theme, sweet potatoes are the perfect way to garnish that highly sought-after rich and warm flavor.

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 1 large head cauliflower
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • 3 medium to large sized peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 7 cups filtered water

Here’s what to do:

First, preheat your oven to 400 °F and cut up your cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle cauliflower lightly with garam masala. Place cauliflower onto ungreased cookie sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven and let roast until golden brown on the tops and tender, but not mushy, about 20-30 minutes. There’s no need to flip ’em. Just remove from oven and let cool while you cook the rest of the soup. In large stockpot, bring sweet potato, onion, garlic and water to a boil. Salt (abt 3/4 tsp) and stir. Reduce heat and allow to remain at a constant simmer until sweet potatoes are tender. Add in cooked cauliflower and divide soup into 2 parts. Let soup cool and then blend one part soup in blender until very smooth. Combine with second part soup and stir. Salt to taste and warm up over stovetop if needed.

3. Tomato Soup

It really doesn’t get much easier than this 2-ingredient tomato soup. It is as delicious as it is quick!

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 14.5 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes with Garlic and Onion
  • 1/4 c. Coconut Milk or Heavy Cream

Here’s what to do:

Add diced tomatoes and coconut milk to blender. Process on high until smooth. If using high-speed blender, transfer soup to stovetop to heat. Enjoy!

4. Broccoli Cheese Soup

While not a particularly seasonal soup, you can never go wrong with this creamy classic.

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 2 cups chopped broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
  • 1 small white onion, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 (15 oz.) can evaporated milk
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Here’s what to do:

Stir together stock, diced onion and broccoli in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Stir in the evaporated milk and continue cooking for 3 minutes or until the mixture returns to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.

5. Easy Chili

Although technically not a soup, chili should still be included on the list because it is the perfect fall recipe. It is the perfect pairing for watching Sunday night football or to accompany your Netflix binge on a rainy fall day. This 5-ingredient chili is a must!

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
  • 1 small white onion, diced
  • 3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans beans, drained (black beans, kidney beans, a combo, or whatever you like)
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • (optional toppings: shredded cheese, chopped green onions, sour cream, cilantro, etc.)

Here’s what to do:

In a large stockpot, cook ground beef or turkey over medium-high heat until browned, stirring frequently.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beef or turkey to a separate plate and set aside.  Reserve 1 tablespoon of grease in the stockpot, and discard the rest. Add the onion to the stockpot and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until soft. Add remaining ingredients and the cooked beef or turkey to the stockpot, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with optional toppings if desired.

6. Butternut Squash Soup

Classic, delicious, easy.

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 1 peeled, seeded and chopped butternut squash (available already peeled, seeded, and chopped from TJ’s…score!!)
  • 1 peeled and quartered onion
  • 1 peeled and quartered baking potato
  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • 1/2- 1 cup whole milk

Here’s what to do:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, toss the butternut squash, onion and baking potato with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to coat; season with salt and pepper. Bake until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer the vegetables and any juices to a large soup pot, add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and, using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Stir in the milk, according to the desired thickness, and season with salt and pepper.

7.  Spicy Poblano and corn soup:

If you’re looking for something a little more flavorful, this soup will certainty satisfy. Luckily, the sweet corn offers a nice balance to the hot flavor of the chilies – the title speaks the truth.

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 1 (16-ounce) package frozen baby gold and white corn, thawed and divided
  • 2 cups fat-free milk, divided
  • 4 poblano chilies, seeded and chopped (about 1 pound)
  • 1 cup refrigerated pre-chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Here’s what to do:

Place 1 cup corn and 1 1/2 cups milk in a Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Combine chopped chili, onion, and one tablespoon water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave at HIGH 4 minutes. Meanwhile, place 2 cups corn and 1/2 cup milk in a blender; process until smooth. Add pureed mixture to corn mixture in pan. Stir in chili mixture and salt, and cook 6 minutes over medium heat. Ladle soup into bowls, and top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese.

**Recipe Sources: 1. http://www.yummly.com/recipe/5-Ingredient-Thai-Pumpkin-Soup-1460479 2. http://www.allysonkramer.com/2011/10/sweet-potato-cauliflower-soup/  3. http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2013/11/healthy-tomato-soup-recipe-with-only-2-ingredients.html  4. http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/5-ingredient-broccoli-cheese-soup/  5. http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/5-ingredient-easy-chili-recipe/  6. http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/five-ingredient-recipes/butternut-squash-soup-2 7. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-poblano-corn-soup