81st Annual Waa-Mu Show: A Must-See This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The 81st annual Waa-Mu show, the largest student-written musical in the country, did not disappoint audiences who packed into Cahn Auditorium this weekend.  Led by student co-chairs Jon Harrison, Rachel Shapiro, and Patrick Sulken, the show provides an entertaining portrayal of Northwestern life.  This year’s theme, “Off the Map,” follows four student groups–a fraternity, a sorority, a Habitat for Humanity group, and an a cappella group–on a chaotic trip to New Orleans that is by turns comical, nostalgic, and thoughtful.

All audience members will find a song or story with which they identify. The program, which has numbers inspired by jazz, country, musical theater, and stepping, includes songs dedicated to a variety of relatable subjects: campus tours, frustration with classes, road trips, graduation, and even an ode to The Keg.

The upbeat opening numbers take full advantage of a well-designed, clean set and will engage NU students with witty inside jokes while still maintaining a professionalism and energy that will impress older audience members. The cast is undeniably talented; their vocals, dance, and comedic timing are spot-on. Especially remarkable performances include the Duck Hill male leads’ splits, which earned a mid-song round of applause, a sultry number about NOLA nightlife, and a poignant senior tribute that brings the plot full circle at the show’s finale.

The production staff and orchestra also deserve shout-outs for a show well executed. Apart from some issues with the microphones, the technical aspect of the Waa-Mu show really supported the performance and the live orchestra’s sound was impeccable.

The cast clearly has wonderful chemistry and a lot of dedication. They make the tedious aspects of college life humorous, highlight the quirkiness of the Northwestern hookup and dating culture, and salute the potential and uncertainty of post-college life. The performance is impressive, engaging, and thoroughly deserving of the praise, “The greatest college show in America!”

Be sure to catch the show this weekend on Thursday and Friday at 8pm, Saturday at 2pm and 8pm, or Sunday at 2pm! Tickets run from $10 to $30 and it is absolutely worth every penny.

Erin Anderson

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.