8 Reasons Why I’m Not Looking Forward to the End of Pretty Little Liars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The day is almost here. The final episodes of Pretty Little Liars will begin airing this Tuesday, April 18th on Freeform. In honor of the end of an era, I thought I’d look back on my experience with this beloved show, and compile a list for why this goodbye might be too hard to handle.

1. I grew up with PLL

The show first came out while I was in middle school, continued all throughout my high school years and even ran into the beginning of my college days. I essentially feel like Emily, Hanna, Aria, and Spencer are my classmates. It feels weird to know that I will graduate university without the chance to celebrate with a new episode of PLL.

2. It’s the best guilty-pleasure series in existence

It’s a fact that there are high quality TV shows that win endless awards, like Game of Thrones, and then there are series that you would be slightly embarrassed to admit you’ve binged one too many times. For me, PLL is my ultimate TV show dirty secret. Of course, as long as Netflix keeps it online, I’ll always be able to relive my favorite moments, but it will never be as special without the constant mystery of not knowing who the final A is.

3. The plot has been dragged on for so long that I can’t imagine how they will actually end it

Let’s be real. They have announced so many different characters as A that I can’t even keep track anymore. I’m legitimately so curious as to how they are going to make the actual ending satisfying enough for all the hardcore PLL fans. I know at this point that my personal standards are extremely high.

4. I can’t see the actresses as anyone else but their characters on PLL

Yes, I follow them on all Instagram. And yes, I identify them as Emily, Hanna, Aria and Spencer. No matter where their careers take them now, I don’t think I will ever not imagine them as the iconic foursome. This also works for any side characters as well, if I’m being completely honest.

5. Does this mean I’ll no longer be slightly creeped out when I see a singular letter “A”?

Anyone else experience this phenomenon? I wonder if the letter by itself will ever not give me an eerie feeling. I guess it’s just part of the PLL culture.

6. I can’t spend my time analyzing who A is, and being completely wrong

Who else has a favorite pastime of making mental charts of who could feasibly be A, and then discovering you were way off when the show finally reveals the answer? I hope it’s not just me. I’ll do anything to avoid homework, I guess.

7. Emison will no longer be a thing

While I am admittedly obsessed with every couple on PLL, Emily and Alison are undoubtedly my favorite duo. Their relationship has been built up since the first season, and I have been waiting on the edge of my seat for things to be official. I am hoping my prayers will be answered.

8. I won’t be able to indulge my crushes on basically every character

Everyone on this show is way too attractive. Ezra has been my favorite eye-candy from day one, but I wouldn’t mind staring at every character for the rest of my life.

We’ve reached the end of the list, just like Pretty Little Liars will reach its end before I know it. You can count in on me tuning in this Tuesday, simultaneously crouching in fear (the show has gotten a lot scarier over the years, right?) and crying because I have to say goodbye to my PLL family way too soon.  

Cover Photo Courtesy of Freeform

Gifs Courtesy of Giphy

Elissa Gray

Northwestern '20

Elissa is a Northwestern junior in Medill studying journalism and political science. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, where her love for sushi, avocados, and hot cheetos all began. When she isn't wasting away in the library, she can be found binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix, and dreaming about her favorite place in the world, Disneyland.