5 Reasons Why You Should Set Weekly Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Ever told yourself that you’re going to go get in shape but then just lay in bed instead? If you answered yes to this question, join the club. Many people like to set large goals because we like to envision the end result. I was under this impression forever. If I set a large goal I would automatically achieve it, but this unfortunately led to minimal results. When we talked about goal setting in my social psychology class (applying concepts to real life, I’m clearly a star student) we learned that large goal setting doesn’t do much if you don’t have small goals to try to accomplish along the way.

Taking this into mind, I started to set weekly goals instead of aiming for large goals and found out that this was SO much more effective. By no means am I saying don’t set large goals, but just don’t forget to set the smaller ones along the way. Whether the goal is going to the gym twice a week or getting ahead on homework, building up to larger goals with smaller ones might be exactly what you need to find that spark to get going. Here are 5 reasons that setting weekly goals is the way to go, especially as finals week soon approaches. 

1) Accomplishing something feels GOOD!

2) You’ll be excited when you realize you’re making progress.

3) You might actually hit the gym for once.

4) You can (humbly) brag about your accomplishments.

5) You’ll become a better, more productive person overall!

SO GET OUT THERE AND SET SOME GOALS!