4 Reasons to Check Out ‘Riverdale’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

One of the most anticipated new shows of 2017 is The CW’s Riverdale. The creepy teen soap opera is an interpretation of the Archie Comics. It places all of your favorite, humorous teens including Archie, Josie and the Pussycats and Jughead in a Twin Peaks setting as they deal with the strange happenings in their small town. But, does it live up to expectations? This is what we have learned after the first two episodes.

It is a new teen show to obsess over.

In case it has not been obvious, 2017 is starting off pretty rough. But, it is going to get even harder to deal with because it seems like all our favorite teen shows are ending! Teen Wolf, Pretty Little Liars, and The Vampire Diaries are all set to premiere their final episodes this year. Gone are the days when The CW was filled with the best young adult shows like 90210 and Gossip Girl. If you are looking for a show to fill the void, Riverdale might be it. It has the classic jock, girl next door, queen bee and outcast characters that have become synonymous with teen series. However, not everyone is who they appear to be and each character is hiding a secret. Maybe this show can avoid coming of age clichés as their characters develop.

It is for people who like comics, but not superheroes.

Since all the classic teen soap operas have faded out, The CW and Netflix have been taken over by superhero shows. If that does not sound appealing to you, then Riverdale is a perfect break from the supernatural world. None of the characters have special abilities, but that does not make them any less interesting. They don’t need powers to solve mysteries, making them more relatable. But, the comic book origin does mean that readers have a particular idea of who they want to portray the characters. Some critics have already voiced their disappointment in the cast. So, do not be shocked to find Archie is not the clumsy, redhead you hoped he would be.

It will reignite your love for Cole Sprouse.

Your favorite shaggy, blond-haired crush from the Disney Channel is finally back on television. After taking a break from acting and graduating from New York University, Cole Sprouse has landed a more mature role as Jughead Jones. Arguably one of the main reasons for the show’s substantial following, Sprouse plays an elusive outsider who also serves as the narrator for the series. It has been about six years since Sprouse has been on television, and we are eager to see his acting range. So far, however, he has had little screen time compared to the other characters and was barely in the premiere episode. Let’s hope he plays a bigger role as the season progresses.

It is the perfect murder mystery.

Although Riverdale is based on a funny comic, the writers have clearly altered the show to have a more dark and ominous tone.  The limited comedic relief and eerie yellowish hue in each scene are clear giveaways that something is off in this town. Each character seems to be battling a demon which means no one should not be on the suspect list. While the murder is a major component of the show, it is not the main mystery. The real struggle is trying to determine which character to trust and which characters are being intentionally written to mislead the audience. The whodunit aspect makes the show resemble Pretty Little Liars and there are a lot of subplots occurring simultaneously. Hopefully it does not become too overdramatic.

The verdict: The show looks promising up to this point but it if it continues to follow typical high school story lines it might lose its unique appeal. If it relies on the cryptic angle, it could be a hit. We will have to stay tuned to see which direction this season takes. Make sure to check out new episodes on Thursday to see how the story unfolds!

Images: www.twitter.com/CW_Riverdale

Ariana is a Los Angeles native who is obsessed with fashion, celebrities, music, and food. She is a journalism student in Medill at Northwestern University who enjoys reading fashion and entertainment blogs and magazines. Ariana's favorite things to do are travel, explore Los Angeles, discover new music groups, and of course watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Ariana loves writing and sharing her experiences with you and hopes you enjoy reading her stories.