Your Guide to Navigating On-Campus Eateries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

With the spring semester in full swing, life is starting to get a bit hectic. If your average day is filled with classes, group projects, and club meetings, you don’t have a lot of time to think about healthy eating. It can seem like a burden, but it really doesn’t have to be.

When you’re on the go, convenience is key. It’s easy to grab a donut or a pastry because it’s quick and cheap. But the sugar can add up, leaving you feeling sluggish later in the day. Thanks to a growing trend in restaurants, most places are now offering healthier options without sacrificing taste.

We’ve taken the most popular on-campus eateries and scoured their menus for the healthiest options. The hard part is done…all you have to do is pick something and enjoy!

Dunkin Donuts

Sure, there are three on campus and they’ve all got chocolate crullers and amazing glazed munchkins, so if you need your Dunkin’ fix, there are some great tasting items on the menu that aren’t loaded with sugar and fat. The company recently implemented the DDSmart Menu, a list of their healthiest picks. The best options are easily identifiable, thanks to the DDSmart logo. Favorites include the egg white turkey sausage flatbread, a popular breakfast item. Dunkin also offers wake-up wraps with eggs, cheese, and a variety of additional toppings. Keeping coffee drinkers in mind, the DDSmart menu also lists several variations of classic drinks. This is a smart stop for mornings when you don’t have time to sit down for breakfast. The flatbread and wraps are easy to hold and munch on while you rush to that 8am class.

Au Bon Pain

This popular café is ahead of the curve when it comes to choices. Nutritional information can be found throughout its interior, making customers aware of what they’re really consuming. For breakfast, try one of their new sandwiches, like the turkey, egg and cheddar on a skinny bagel. For lunch or dinner, Au Bon Pain’s delicious soups and stews are a smart pick. Many of them are rich and hearty, perfect for cold, winter days. Good choices include chicken noodle, vegetable beef stew, and split pea and ham soup. Craving something else? Au Bon Pain installed a new “portions” section, which houses a variety of snacks, all under 200 calories each. Innovative combinations like apples, blue cheese, and cranberries or Brie, fruit, and crackers will leave you satisfied without any post-indulgence guilt.

Boloco

Delicious? Yes. Unhealthy? No way!
Actually, Boloco’s fresh food is wonderful in terms of health value. You can select nutrient-rich veggies that’ll add a healthy dose of fiber to your diet. Gabriel Gomez, a worker at Boloco, explained that most of the toppings are organic, so students can feel good about their selection. Boloco also offers several pre-crafted burritos. According to Gomez, most students actually prefer the pre-made flavors. Savory and spicy, the Buffalo is a long-standing customer favorite. “We offer whole wheat tortillas and brown rice, which are very healthy options,” Gomez said. Another great thing about this joint lies in the size of its burritos. They even offer a mini size for those times when you don’t feel like having a huge meal.

Jamba Juice

Located by the International Village, Jamba Juice is the answer to get your sweet, fruity prayers. The smoothie company has grown to offer baked goods and healthy breakfast staples. Try their delicious steel-cut oatmeal, which comes in flavors like apple cinnamon, brown sugar, and blueberry-blackberry. The oats are loaded with fiber and protein – the keys to feeling fuller longer. Jamba Juice smoothies are also a great pick-me-up to get you through an afternoon slump. Their all-fruit drinks will give you a boost of energy so you can power through your last class.

Wendy’s

While the term “fast-food” is enough to scare any health-conscious individual, many chains are looking beyond the typical burger and fry combo. Located in the Curry Center, Wendy’s is a frequent stop for many students. Although a chocolate frosty and fries sounds appealing, go with something that’ll keep you going instead of zapping your energy. A small chili will warm you up and leave you satisfied for less than 200 calories. If you just can’t kick that burger craving, opt for a junior cheeseburger, which is about 280 calories. If the frosty looks too good to pass up, go for the junior vanilla version. It’s only 160 calories. Portion size is key here. It’s ok to indulge as long as you don’t go overboard. To round off your meal, order a side salad. Wendy’s has a new line of flavorful dressings with all natural ingredients and no preservatives.

Wollaston’s

This on-campus grocery store contains an impressive selection of packaged goods and fresh produce. It also has a deli, where you can custom order hot or cold sandwiches. Order the “Marino Fitness,” a vegetarian option with pesto & sun-dried tomatoes. Next time you’re at Wollaston’s, stock up on wholesome protein bars and pre-portioned snacks. Pick up a juicy orange or a crunchy red apple when you’re on the go. These are the perfect snacks to have in-between classes. Fruit will give you a kick of energy and tide you over until your next meal.

Panera Bread

Students recently celebrated the arrival of Panera’s newest location on Huntington Avenue. This bakery café conjures up a warm, comforting vibe – they’ve got free wifi and the lower level even has fireplace! The expansive menu is filled with fresh soups, hot sandwiches and scrumptious pastries. Panera is a great stop for lunch or an early dinner. Try one of their delicious hot paninis, which come in a range of meat and topping combos. At first glance, the sandwich calorie counts may deter you. But the smoked turkey sandwich delivers 34 grams of hunger squashing protein for a reasonable 440 calories. If another sandwich flavor sounds good to you, try eating just half. That way, you can get your fix without going overboard. You can also pair your sandwich with a bowl of soup. Try the low-fat chicken noodle soup, or the garden vegetable soup with pesto. If you’re stopping by Panera for a quick snack, the new wild berry smoothie is a must. It’s made with strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and black raspberries, plus organic low-fat vanilla yogurt. The best part? It’s under 300 calories and chalk full of vitamins B6 and B12.

Stetson East

It’s no secret that Stetson East offers basic college staples, like pizza, pasta and burgers. But with the right strategy, you can select a well-balanced meal that’s still tasty. One great thing about this dining hall is its all-inclusive salad bar. From crunchy greens and lean meats, to peppers and tomatoes, the choices are limitless. Start by filling up a bowl to enjoy as a side. That way, you can nosh on some pizza while still having a nutritious meal. Infact, a slice of cheese is only about 200 calories, with 12 grams of protein. Although visiting the dessert station is tempting, try limiting the cookies and brownies you consume. Instead of having a sweet with every meal, try having one every other day or just on the weekends. If you find yourself craving something sweet, go for some fresh-cut cantaloupe or a bowl of ripe red strawberries.

Stetson West

This hall is unique in that it offers a full-service stir fry station. Diners can choose from select meats, vegetables and sauces to create the perfect dish. When filling your bowl, go heavy on the vegetables to ensure a well-balanced meal. Take it one step further and opt for the whole grain rice.The perfect thing about stir-fry lies in the fact that it hits several major food groups: meats, vegetables, and grains. Add a glass of milk to your meal and you have a tasty, well-rounded lunch or dinner.

International Village

Considered the dining hall of dining halls, IV’s food packs a punch. Students can choose from a variety of internationally inspired cuisine, including fresh wok dishes, charbroil sandwiches, and even falafel. IV houses a handmade sushi station and a state of the art tandoori oven. In the mood for something hot off the grill? Try a garden burger from the vegetarian section. When you pile on the onions, tomatoes, and a little cheese and barbeque sauce, it really makes for a zesty meal. Take advantage when the chefs prepare sweet potato fries, which are as amazing to eat as they are healthy. You can also visit the deli station and choose from a selection of wraps and mini sandwiches. Overwhelmed by the options? Soup and salad are always good fallbacks. IV consistently offers homemade chicken noodle soup and rotates other flavors out daily. To mix things up, some students enjoy having breakfast for dinner from IV’s all-day omelet station. A ham and veggie omelet with egg whites and cheese provides nutritious fiber, healthy fat, and lean protein.

Happy (healthy) eating!

Dani Wong is a sophomore at the University of San Francisco, where she is double majoring in media studies and journalism. After her short story was published in a recent book, she decided to explore a new facet of writing and became involved with student newspapers and magazines. Between interning, taking classes, and exploring San Francisco, Dani is embracing the new opportunities that city life brings. Her true loves include traveling, taking photographs, playing sports and anything food related!
Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!