Women Who Should Have Replaced Letterman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but women host none of the major late night comedy slots. Letterman’s retirement in 2015 provides the perfect opening for a comedy queen to pick up the slack. As much as I love Stephen Colbert, I was sincerely disappointed when I saw that he has signed on to fill the empty spot. Here are my top picks for women who should have been Letterman’s replacement:

Kristen Schaal– Schaal has been on Bob’s Burgers and 30 Rock. Plus she’s already got late night experience; you’ve likely seen her hilarious regular appearances as Women’s Correspondent on the Daily Show. Her firecracker comedic style would certainly keep things interesting, and her bubbly personality would either put guests on edge or at ease—either way something I’d want to watch.

Tina Fey– Because, duh.

Amy Poehler– Again, duh.

Raven Symone– I know, I know—an ex-Disney star. Hear me out! Remember all of the hysterical pranks her character used to pull on That’s So Raven? The insane disguises and fabulous facial expressions? Now, envision all of that greatness delivered in snappy (oh snap!) business attire. Someone, please make this happen.

Nicole Byers– Have you seen MTV’s Girl Code? Read this woman’s hysterical twitter feed? Watched her collaboration with Sasheer Zamata , the Pursuit of Sexiness? The evidence speaks for itself, and I for one would appreciate further comedic cameos by Byers—and where better than in a late-night time slot?

Margaret Cho– First of all, she’s awesome. Secondly, she would call her guests out on their shit—I mean that in the best way possible.

Mindy Kaling– She’s got enough enthusiasm to fuel multiple late night shows, and her excitable personality would make all the guests feel welcome. She’s hilarious, witty, and likely to get up to hysterically awkward antics on air.

Chelsea Handler– Her experience on Chelsea Lately makes her an epic candidate for a late night show. The Hollywood Reporter wrote that Handler would be leaving E!, so she’s ready for her next gig. Assuming she does leave her current network, she’ll be free next year—can producers ignore this happy coincidence?

Jessica Williams– Williams is currently killing it as a correspondent on the Daily Show, and I think she’s ready to strike out on her own.

Retta (Marietta Sirleaf)– Anyone who’s seen Parks and Recreation knows her as Donna, and subsequently knows that she’s riotously funny. If you’re not a Parks & Rec fan, simply take a gander at her Twitter feed and you will soon understand what people mean when they claim that laughter is an ab workout.

Ellen DeGeneres– Enough said.

Melissa McCarthy– Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that McCarthy’s days as the witty chef on Gilmore Girls are long gone. Instead she’s been making us all die of laughter on the big screen. She’s awesome at improv, plus just imagine the weird and crazy pranks she would pull on guests.  

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!