This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

We all know when the leaves start to turn and fall from the trees that winter is right around the corner. All Northeast veterans are well aware of the cold, brisk days ahead. Endless windchill, snowy blizzards, and layers upon layers are always expected. When Starbucks starts selling the red coffee cups, it’s usually time to pull out your Northface and bundle up. The essentials for your typical winter include: a Northface jacket, a huge furry scarf, a nice pair of gloves, two, maybe 3 layers of sweaters, and of course, a lovely, worn in, pair of Uggs. Uggs are almost as diverse as people. Any size, color, design, height, or fur level a person could want. No one can have just one pair of Uggs, there are simply too many options.

But why Uggs? What makes them so irresistible? It can’t be their good looks, because in fact, Uggs are pretty ugly (pun intended). Uggs aren’t appealing to the eye, they look like huge socks on your feet. How can these unfashionable products be so popular? I would argue that despite the drabness of Uggs, their usefulness combined with their exceedingly high comfort level enables us to look past their unfortunate physical features. Uggs keep us warm, cozy, and can be worn year after year. Not only are they a good investment, but there’s so many to choose from that no customer will ever not be able to find a pair of Uggs for them.

So yes, beauty is more than just what’s on the outside. Uggs might not be the prettiest in the room, but they are the most caring and reliable. The gorgeous stiletto heels you spotted in the corner of the room might look appealing, but will they keep you warm at night? I don’t think so. I think Uggs deserve a well-earned thank you. They might not look like anything special, but they have definitely gotten us all through some very tough, cold times.

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: