This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Over this past winter break, I had the amazing opportunity to spend a week in Rio de Janeiro with my family! The best parts of the trip were being able to experience the city’s amazing New Year’s Eve fireworks show at the beach, its colorful streets, its lively people, and its warm and welcoming nature.

I took plenty of pictures and figured I would create a diary/guide of sorts for anyone who is interested in visiting Rio in the future!

Here we go:

Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas

Rio de Janeiro is very mountainous, while also surrounded by water. On our first day, we decided to visit this freshwater lagoon that is surrounded by one of Rio’s most affluent neighborhoods. It’s gigantic, and was very nicely decorated for the holidays, as well as having a nice dining complex sitting on its edge. It’s great for anyone looking to have a relaxed meal by the water, especially during the summer months when it’s warm and perfectly breezy out.

Jardim Botânico

This botanical garden is one of the largest and most biodiverse in the continent! With species from all over the world, it’s the perfect place to take a relaxing stroll and admire all the beautiful tropical flowers, and maybe even get a nice souvenir or two – all made from recycled plastic bottles!

Praia de Ipanema

This is one of Rio’s most famous and visited beaches, the other being Copacabana. The sand is white, the ocean is blue, and there are tons and tons of locals just chilling around, playing beach volleyball, and getting a nice tan or going for a much needed refreshing swim during those hot summer months!

Cristo Redentor

This is the city’s most iconic monument. Sitting atop the 2,300 ft tall mountain of Corcovado, the omnipresent statue of Christ the Redeemer with arms outstretched is a mesmerizing and breathtaking sight. He stands at over 100 ft, and when you’re standing at the base it seems even bigger! The view of the city from the side of the mountain is incredible, and definitely something worth seeing.

Maracanã Stadium

Not much to say about this one, other than it is a classic and must see for any sports lovers out there. This is where the World Cup in 2014 was inaugurated and closed, as well as last year’s Olympic Games! It’s a huge deal, and a must see for anyone in Rio.

View from Pão de Açúcar – Sugarloaf Mountain

Another one of the mountains in Rio, Sugarloaf is only slightly lower than Corcovado, but still as breathtaking. Accessible only by cable car, the visitor’s centers and dining options at the top of the mountain are super fun and exciting, and you get to see a different perspective of the city of Rio. They say the best time to go is when the sun is just about to set, because you can see the sun kiss the water and reflect on the city.  

Escadaria Selarón

This tile covered rainbow of a staircase is located in Rio’s up and coming art district, and it is absolutely beautiful! The artist, Selarón, carefully chose and set the tiles on each step all by himself. It is truly a work of art, and you can see it by the love of the surrounding community. The staircase was also featured in a Snoop Dogg and Pharrell video! I don’t have a picture of just the stairs, but here’s one of me on the stairs!

Maria I Lisac

Northeastern

business student from Panama City, Panama. food & dog lover travel enthusiast