Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Top 10 Christmas Movies

Posted Dec 9 2013 - 12:29pm

With the countdown to Christmas beginning all around and ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas in full gear, here is a list of my top ten Christmas movies.

10. Richie Rich's Christmas Wish

This was direct to DVD and probably only shown on ABC Family, but I love Richie Rich so this makes the list. It’s basically the kid version of It’s a Wonderful Life (see number 4).

9. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Tim Burton is amazing and this movie was really unique, but it was kind of creepy for a Christmas movie so it has a lower ranking. However, it is not as creepy as those clay Christmas cartoon movies we all watched as young children from the 1970’s or The Polar Express.

8. A Christmas Carol

There are many adaptions of this story, but the 2009 adaption is the best in my opinion because it was kept classic to the original story. The script actually sticks to Charles Dickens original dialogue.

7. A Christmas Story

This is one of the best family Christmas films of all time. “You’ll shoot your eye out!”

6. Miracle on 34th Street

This movie is adorable. Mara Wilson is a great child actor and the Kris Kringle was a really sweet guy. The movie is generally flawless except for the fact that the mom tells her six year old that Santa Clause isn’t real. That is horrible parenting and dream crushing.

5. Home Alone 1 & 2

While these movies are mostly remembered for the slapstick comedy (which is still incredibly amusing), there are a lot of other good themes like the importance of spending the holidays with family or friends. The kid is also a major badass for an 8 year-old. Also, don’t watch the fourth installment of this series. Just don’t do it to yourself.

4. It's a Wonderful Life

This classic film shows the importance of loving what you have. It’s another good family film that everyone can love.

3. Elf

This is a movie where Will Ferrell is actually funny and charming instead of a mentally unstable chauvinist. Buddy the Elf brings out the Christmas spirit in all of us.

2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the Jim Carrey Version)

I put this over the animated one because I like the Grinch’s backstory. It brings more out of his character. This movie also shows how presents don’t mean everything and the holidays are about being together.

1. The Santa Clause

Although the sequel wasn’t as good and the third one was downright terrible, this original Walt Disney film is really good. Most Christmas movies are about families but this is about a normal guy who unwittingly becomes Santa Clause and tries to cope with it in real life. It reminds adults and older kids about the magic Christmas used to be when you were little, which is cute and nostalgic. Also, the North Pole was really cool looking and all the elves had a lot of character.

Top 10 Christmas Movies