This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Spring is in the air, the sun has finally come out, and it’s time to freshen things up. Cleaning isn’t always the most exciting activity, however there are so many benefits of spring cleaning, even if you just spend one hour doing it, you will feel so much better.

Benefits of spring cleaning:

1. Everything will be clean (obviously).

2. With everything clean, you will feel happier.

3. You can turn it into a workout instead of going to the gym.

4. If you are procrastinating, you will feel better procrastinating by cleaning rather than spending hours on Netflix (but you can also watch Netflix while you clean).

5. You might find things you forgot you had, like that sweater hidden in the back of your closet that’s perfect for spring.

6. Once you are done cleaning, it will be much easier for you to reorganize things, redecorate your dorm, or to change the layout of your room!

With all of these reasons to do even just a little spring cleaning, go ahead and start by opening a window to air out the rooms, light a candle, and put on your favorite upbeat music. I’ve compiled a few suggestions on how to clean each room and what needs attention. When you have finished, I recommend going out and buying your favorite spring colored flowers to display in your newly cleaned room!

Living Room: Start by putting everything away and making sure that anything that does not go in that room is placed in the appropriate room. Next go along and dust all shelves, vacuum or sweep the floor and check one last time that everything is in its place.

Kitchen: Start with wiping down the counters and cleaning out the fridge by throwing away anything questionable or expired. Then go ahead and clean your microwave (best way to clean your microwave) and throw away the crumbs collecting in the tray at the bottom of the toaster or toaster oven. Lastly, make sure all dishes in the sink are cleaned and sweep or Swiffer the floor.

Bathroom: Start by cleaning the toilet (get the worst over with first) by scrubbing the bowl with a brush and wiping down all surfaces of it with Lysol. Next, wipe down the sink and counters. If you are really ambitious, scrub the bathtub. Finish by washing all shower and hand towels and clean the floor.

Bedroom: Begin by putting everything away and making your bed. Then go around and dust everything and vacuum.

Closet: If you just want to do a general cleaning, just make sure everything is hanging up or folded, do your laundry and vacuum the closet floor. If you want to go all out, take everything out of your closet and sort through all of your clothes. Pick out what you never wear to swap for new clothes with your friends or donate to Goodwill. Lastly, if you have anything with stains either get them out with stain remover, take it to the dry cleaner, or throw it away.

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!