These Four Methods Could Help You Save Money on Fitness Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If there is one thing I’ve learned after a month of living in San Francisco, it’s that the cost of living really does mean EVERYTHING costs more. No I don’t just mean rent, everything from groceries to getting a haircut is disproportionately more expensive.

I’ve never particularly liked going to the gym and working out. I used to be a dancer, so to me exercise has always been a group activity that gave you something to keep your mind on besides how much pain you are in. So naturally, post-high school dance career, I gravitated towards fitness classes.

But remember what I said about those disproportionately expensive costs? Well, turns out they apply to fitness classes too. So what’s a girl to do but to get thrifty.

Method 1: Find someone you know who is teaching a free class.

This may also be referred to as the dumb luck method. My roommate happened to have a fellow intern at her office who was about to start teaching a Pilates class, and she offered us a free session so she could test run it.

We went to Core40. Now, I’ve partaken in pilates classes before (and I’m a big fan of Blogilates, as you’ll see later), but this was something other-worldly. The entire class was on top of these precarious, threatening machines that required you to balance, stretch, and strengthen without falling into the abyss that was the middle of the machines.

The class was lively, though. Everyone knew each other (for the most part), so there was a sense of camaraderie in our protests of particularly painful planks and lunges and squats. Everyone left sweating and smiling. However, because this was the teacher’s first time really teaching the class, there were a few kinks that needed to be worked out in terms of instruction. I guess I can’t complain when it was free.

The pros of this method:

The class was completely free.

We bonded in our confusion.

The cons:

The teacher is only teaching this class for the first time, so there are still some kinks and confusion to work out.

The free class is a one-time offer, so if you like it you have to shell out the cash to take it again.

Method 2: First time is free.

Almost every fitness studio has a first time offer to hook new members that’s unbelievably dreamy compared to the normal price. At Hit Fit SF, the first class was free. My roommates and I wandered past this gym as we were coming home from a 24-hour donut shop. As soon as we got home, we were ready to sign up. Now my main interest in boxing is derived from the fact that I know Gigi Hadid boxes to stay in shape. You could say I’m a novice. The beginner class was a perfect fit. Our teacher, Ken Stone, was a veritable badass who used his tough demeanor to intimidate us into shape. After teaching us some basic combinations, he had us kick it into gear punching our way into shape. This was routine followed by an intense cardio and strengthening workout that left my shoulders so sore the next day I couldn’t lift them over my head.

Despite all of that, it was one of the most fun classes I’ve taken. I left feeling powerful, like I had just released all of my anger and stress through my fists. Even though it was tough, the workout was manageable. I felt challenged, but it was at my level. As a bonus, Ken Stone told me I “wasn’t bad” when we were practicing combinations. Major win.

The pros of this method:

Another free class.

I had hardcore and experienced teachers.

The cons:

At HitFit, you would have to take that same class 10 times before you can move on to any other classes.

I shudder to think about the boxing gloves I had to put my hands into for that class. It felt like gripping a wet, salty sponge. I won’t be taking that class again because I don’t want to invest in my own pair of gloves.

Method 3: Class Pass

If you’ve never tried ClassPass before, it is an absolute revelation. When you’re new to a city, it can be tough to know where to start looking for fitness classes. Hopping around different studios can get pricey quickly. Enter ClassPass, a program that allows you to pay a set rate for a set number of classes anywhere for one month. Though normally $65, when you can easily obtain a discount by sharing a code for $30 off. I signed up using my roommates code, and only had to pay $35 for my classes. Though it’s still not cheap by any means, it’s definitely a more reasonable way to try out classes in your area. I wound up taking a bunch of different barre classes in my area. If you are unfamiliar, barre uses the basic components of ballet barre to create a full body workout encompassing stretching, strengthening, toning and cardio.

Of the classes I took, one of my favorites was at Avant Barre. It was a rather small studio; but every time I went, the class was full, even during later night classes. The teachers gave a lot of individual attention and feedback, correcting your positioning and motivating you to get the most out of your workout. It was the perfect balance of motivation and encouragement. No one seemed like they were pushed to do more than they could, and the energy was positive. By the end of the class, the music, the stretching, and the good vibes always left me feeling energized.

The pros of this method:

Flat rates across studios.

Opportunities to take a variety of classes.

The cons:

Without the discount code, the rate goes up fast.

You are limited by the number of classes you can take at one studio per month.

Method 4: Do it online.

For me, taking a fitness class every day isn’t realistic, especially in a city where the cost of living is this high. So supplementing with online workouts is really helpful. I’m a big fan of Cassey Ho of Blogilates. She’s an online fitness guru who teaches pilates classes in succinct, upbeat videos. You can find all of her videos on YouTube, but I recommend checking out her blog and subscribing to her newsletter for a free monthly workout calendar that builds combinations of her videos to create various hour-long workouts.

The videos can get intense, and without the accountability of a class, it definitely takes discipline to do the whole thing without taking a break. However, she does provide modifications for beginners.

The pros of this method:

It’s free and easy to access if you have internet.

You can find increasingly good quality workouts online.

The cons:

You don’t get any personal attention because your teacher is a computer.

It’s easy to give up in the middle, leave the video on while you eat a bag of popcorn and call it a workout.

If you have roommates, like I do, it can be hard to find the time, space, and privacy to use this method every day.

Lesson learned. Fitness classes can get super pricey, but if there’s a will, there is definitely a way to find cheaper alternatives that can still keep you fit, happy and healthy.