Surviving MBTA Winter Service as told by Game of Thrones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

As we all know from last year’s snowpocalypse, riding the T in the winter can turn into a real survival situation. And who knows about survival more than the cast of Game of Thrones? So they can easily explain the struggles of navigating the MBTA during the winter.

It all starts with the first snow of the year:

You try to remove last year’s disaster from your memory

But soon enough those inevitable delays and breakdowns occur more frequently.

And they always seem to happen on the coldest days when you’re already late for class or work.

The wait for the green line feels even longer than usual in the freezing cold.

Plus waiting outside in the wind and snow wrecks havoc on your hair.

Before you know it, a ten minute train ride turns into forty-five minutes of stop-and-go delays, and you wonder why you left your apartment in the first place.

And when a train finally does come, there’s usually a crowd of people already on and the person in front of you takes the last spot.

There’s little sympathy to be had for the people who live on campus and complain about walking in the snow.

You start to hear horror stories about professors and students who got on the train three hours early and were still twenty minutes late to class.

You wonder how an entire line can get shut down and leave everyone stranded for a month, and pray it doesn’t happen again (looking at you Red Line).

Then just when you’ve given up hope of getting anywhere in the city, regular service finally resumes!

So here’s hoping the MBTA doesn’t leave us to fend for ourselves this winter.

And even if you’re stranded at home, you know the perfect way to spend a snow day.

Lindsay Marum

Northeastern

Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!