This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The bad news: stress is pretty much unavoidable.

Courtesy of Giphy

The good news: stress can be managed and relieved.

Courtesy of Giphy

Here are some tips to help you control and alleviate your stress:

1. Take a bath

This is always my go-to stress reliever. Sometimes when your head is spinning, it helps to take some time to just be still. Bonus: you get to step out of the bath feeling squeaky clean and smelling ah-mazing. So buy yourself some bubble bath or a nice bath bomb from Lush, and draw a nice, warm bath next time you’re stressing out!

Courtesy of Giphy

2. Make a stress relief playlist

At least for me, music is one of the most powerful influencers when it comes to mood. A good song can bring me out of a funk, a sad song can give me some feels, and, yes, a calming song can calm me down when I’m a spiraling ball of stress. Having a playlist with some calming songs on it is very helpful (Coldplay, Frank Ocean, and Khalid are some of my favorites).

3. Exercise

Aerobic exercise releases endorphins in your brain, which are mood-boosting neurotransmitters. This means that cardio is not only good for your heart, it’s good for your mood, too. Head to Marino, play squash, or maybe even run along the Charles River path if it’s nice outside. Your body – and your mind – will thank you for it.

Courtesy of Giphy

4. Make a mug cake

Sometimes there’s no better way to combat stress than eating something warm, decadent, and sweet. Even if all you have to your culinary name is a micro-fridge (freshmen, I feel for you), you can still make this easy mug cake recipe and cozy up with it when you need a few minutes to unwind. Find the recipe for this easy Nutella mug cake here.

5. Invest in a bathrobe and cozy slippers

Snuggling up in a bathrobe and fuzzy slippers is one of the best ways to de-stress while still getting things done. Feeling overwhelmed by a huge paper or project due the next day? Finish it in your room while swaddled in a cozy bathrobe and some fluffy slippers. Homework just got soooo much more cozy.

Courtesy of Giphy

6. Light some candles and/or incense

This is another tried-and-true favorite of mine. Candles aren’t just for romantic dinners and power outages, they can transform your dorm or apartment into a calming, tranquil place. My favorite de-stressing candle or incense scents are lavender, rosemary, and bergamot, but you can choose whatever smell makes your nose happiest.

Courtesy of Giphy

7. Adult coloring books

*casually shouts from rooftop* “COLORING BOOKS ARE NOT JUST FOR KIDS!!!” My mom got me my first adult coloring book when I was a junior in high school and I have been an advocate for them ever since. There’s something so zen about being able to zone out and focus on creating something so detail-oriented which puts you in a clearer, calmer state of mind. Find coloring books for adults on Amazon here.

8. Watch a funny movie

Laughing is one of the best ways to rid yourself of stress. Studies show that even fake smiling or laughing can release serotonin and endorphins – those same mood-boosting chemicals that flood your brain when you exercise. So grab some popcorn and take advantage of that Northeastern subscription to HBO. Go!

Courtesy of Giphy

9. Get some Q.T. with your friends

For those of you who don’t like to deal with stress on your own, hanging out with your besties is a great stress-relief option. Chances are, they know you well enough to make you laugh or comfort you and have been through similar situations before.

Courtesy of Giphy

10. Call your mom

Whenever I hit DEFCON-1 stress levels, I always call my mom. Whether it’s an issue regarding school, co-op, friends, anything, really, she can always make me feel better. For a lot of people, their moms know them better than almost anyone, meaning that she’s seen you go through tougher things (and she’s probably been through something similar in her past) and can offer some much-needed wisdom.

Courtesy of Giphy

Kara DiOrio

Northeastern

Second-year Communications Studies major with passions for food, music, and adventure.