Spring Brokers – How to Spend Spring Break Broke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Who doesn’t dream of the quintessential fun-filled, carefree, responsibility-less Spring break college kids are notorious for having? Months before the break, girls go on insane diets for the perfect beach bod, boys prep their minds and livers (those of legal drinking age, of course) for the epic adventure, and everyone begins the required process of obsessively googling hotel rates. While many have been saving up since the fall for this grand adventure guaranteed to produce many “unforgettable” memories, others find themselves taciturnly turning down invites to go to Cancun while morosely looking at their thinning wallets. Yes, money—the thing that bogs down and fuels the average college student. Although most of us come here with high ideals of later securing a good, well-paying job after graduation—going to college can be a huge drain on your piggy bank. No worries, the following article is here for the lost souls out there looking at their empty calendars and even emptier wallet, yet dreaming of a classic Spring break that you will likely remember very little of ten years from now.

There is no need to go off robbing convenience stores and embezzling funds like the Disney-girls-gone-wild in that strange movie Springbreakers. You can still have a good Spring break on a low budget.

Mytrle Beach, South CarolinaThe beach town is a famous vacation spot for broke spring breakers because of its affordable price deals for both accommodations and activities. Hotel rates start off as low as $34 per night at oceanfront hotel spots and you may find even cheaper accommodations if you book a Spring Break deal package. Boasting white sand beaches, all the requisite beachy activities such as kayaking, fishing, surfing, or parasailing (what is that anyways?), and of course, cheap “quality” night clubs, Mytrle beach will fulfill all your college vacation desires without putting you in debt for the next four years. Sidenote: it is also ranked fourth in Coedmagazine’s list of the nation’s trashiest Spring break venues—that may spark some people’s interest and serve as a deal breaker for others, but take it or leave it. Orlando

Yes, the dream destination for the young at heart. The nation’s must-visit attraction for die hard, adrenaline-fueled fans of amusement parks. While many people would expect this amusement park galore to rack up the bills during Spring break week, vacationers will be pleasantly surprised by the many discounts offered by both the amusement park and their affiliated hotels, such as Disney’s.

Portland, Orgeon

Known for its hipster appeal, Portland Oregon provides an alternative for the alternative crowd searching for a more relaxed way to experience Spring break. Filled with local producers, fantastic beer breweries and cute coffeehouses, Portland offer a fun and unique way to spend Spring break. The best part is the bike tour that will keep you relatively fit throughout your trip. The onslaught of food trucks offering a wide variety of food will also keep your trip within budget since “dining out” won’t be so expensive. As for the partying scene, beer festivals and gardens litter the city, offering up a perhaps more sophisticated way of getting tipsy. The city is ranked as one of the best beer-producing cities in the world.

Vermont

Maybe squeezing past sweaty bodies on a beach, throwing up your lunch on a rollercoaster ride, or biking to breweries don’t float your boat. Be individualistic and venture north when the rest of the flock head south. Several ski resorts offer discounts as high as 30% and boasts ski lifts that only costs $25. For the outdoors fanatic, this is the perfect opportunity to gear up your skis and hit the slopes. Hole up in a cheap cabin and drink even cheaper wine after a fun day out on the slopes? Doesn’t sound too bad to me.

Whether you feel left out because of your budget or mad because you didn’t take that minimum wage job since fall term, remember that Spring Break is just a little over a week. With the right mentality and company, you can turn any destination into a good (wild) time. I’m speaking from my heart, from a girl whose friends are jetting to Cancun and whose boyfriend is leaving for Morocco in less than a week, life goes on. Who knows? Maybe I’ll use that extra bit of saving money to get a wonderfully sketchy tattoo. At least the memory of that would literally last a lifetime.

Pim Senanarong

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!