ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Simple Ways to Spread Valentine’s Day Cheer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s that time of year again when love is in the air, and everyone seems to have ditched the sweatpants and cleaned up quite nicely. All of this could only mean one thing: it’s Valentine’s Day, my friends. For some of us, this means a romantic night in or out with that special someone, but for others it could mean a “lonely” February 14th in. But what if you love V-Day–regardless of your relationship status–and want to share that with the world? After all, no one should hate Valentine’s Day, right? Well, here are five cute ideas to help you spread the love and make people smile!

1. Compliment Someone!

How often do people give or receive compliments? Not nearly enough! Everyone loves compliments and one couldn’t ask for a better occasion to give one. What better way to put a smile on someone’s face than to give them a nice, sincere compliment. Or you could take the anonymous route and flood Northeastern compliments.

2. Bake some treats for your friends!

Just because you don’t have a man in your life doesn’t mean you don’t have anyone to celebrate V-Day with. Who says you can’t show your girls some love once in a while? Baking cookies, brownies, etc. in heart shapes is a cute way to have a fun and festive Valentine’s Day.

3. Make little surprises for everyone on your floor!

Remember in first grade when everyone passed out Valentine’s Day cards and candy to the whole class? Why not re-create that and get in touch with your creative, crafty side! Since buying cards and candy can get expensive, try printing out hearts or making foam ones, putting cute quotes on them, and attaching a lollipop. It’s cute and a nice way to make people smile.

4. Random acts of kindness!

Hold the door open for someone, hold the elevator, listen to someone if they’re having a bad day and need someone to talk to–the possibilities are endless! Valentine’s Day can get rather lonely, and some people are feeling it more than you realize. Just a simple act of kindness lets people know you care and will definitely brighten someone’s day.

5. Volunteer!

Who needs boys when you can spend your V-Day with cute, furry puppies? Animal shelters are always looking for help; just make sure to call ahead of time if you plan on volunteering just once. If that’s not your scene, however, there are many other volunteer opportunities available, including helping out at local food banks and various types of tutoring.

Hope Oje

Northeastern

My name is Hope and I'm a Communication Studies major. I chose to be a Communication Studies major because I love learning about different media and how each type affects the audience in a different way. Also, this major puts me on the path toward a publishing job, which is important to me. I was born in Oakland, California and raised in Richmond, California, but I've lived in South Jersey for the past five years. Some of my interests include playing tennis, watching tennis, and spending time with my friends and family.
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!