Sigma Kappa Husky in the Spotlight: Amanda Karr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name: Amanda Karr

Year in school: 5th year (senior)

Major: Communication Studies with a minor in Social Entrepreneurship

Hometown: River Vale, New Jersey

When did you join Sigma Kappa?

My spring semester of freshman year (2013).

Why did you join Sigma Kappa? Have you held any positions?

I am actually a colony member of Sigma Kappa! I joined the chapter when they first came to Northeastern and it has been an amazing experience and has made my college career what it is today. The women who I have met in this chapter amaze and inspire me every day. I was our social chair for two years, panhellenic delegate, continuing membership chairman, and chapter President.

Have you been on any co-ops? If so, where?

Yes, I have done three! My first was at OnCampus Advertising where I was a media coordinator, my second was at NetSuite where I worked in business development, and my last co-op was at The Boston Consulting Group where I worked in media relations.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Northeastern?

Social Entrepreneurship – this class really changed my perspective on the world, and I immediately declared an SE minor after the first week of the class. I learned so much, found a new passion, and it was taught by one of my favorite professors at Northeastern.

What advice would you give to younger girls who are considering coming to Northeastern and joining Greek life?

Do it! Even if you are skeptical give it a shot. I never thought of myself as a sorority woman and now looking back I can’t imagine my life without it. The panhellenic community at Northeastern is so special and an amazing group to be apart of. Not only will you meet your best friends for life in your own chapter, but also within different chapters of the Greek community. Northeastern is a large school, but Greek life makes it so much smaller and so much more welcoming.

Dana Dworkin

Northeastern

Hi girls! I'm Dana, I'm a CC at HC Northeastern, and I love to write about greek life, fashion, beauty, on-campus happenings, etc.