A Series of Unfortunate Events: Trying to Go Out in the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Everyone who goes to a New England college inevitably discovers the struggle of trying to go to a party once it gets too cold. If it’s hard to get to class bundled in a sweater, scarf, mittens, and parka, then it should be impossible to go out in anything flattering. Yet, most of us rise to the challenge at least once or twice a year. It’s a terrible decision that we love to keep making, because sometimes the night is completely worth the weather. However, this is how the process usually goes down.

You get home from class on a Friday afternoon eager to wind down after a crazy week full of tests and projects.

Your roommate informs you that there is going to be the “party of the SEMESTER” tonight.

…But it’s across campus.

…. And it’s going to be below freezing tonight

You blatantly say no.

Your roommate says it won’t be THAT bad.

So you begin to weigh the options of going out versus snuggling up in bed with Netflix and Wings over Boston.

Staying curled up in your fuzzy blanket is very enticing until your roommate begs you to come and promises to order you pizza on the way back.

A deal is made.

The next step is figuring out what to wear must consider clothing options – it is hard to look cute without freezing your ass off.

Is it unacceptable to wear sweatpants to a frat party?

Or your big puffy winter jacket?

You look for your crappy, thin jacket that you reserve for hiding behind the couches of parties – but you lost it last weekend.

You find a semi – acceptable outfit that isn’t practical at all and may result in pneumonia.

Oh well. Time to pregame and rely on an alcohol blanket!

You stumble out of your apartment and immediately get hit by a gust of cold wind that feels like a million shards of glass hitting you at once.

The alcohol blanket has clearly failed.

The wind is relentless. It was not this windy during the day. You immediately regret this decision.

Are we there yet?

This is what Jon Snow must feel like.

Why, oh why, did I not apply to the University of Miami?

Next week, I am DEFINITELY staying in with Netflix.

Or at least ordering an Uber.

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: