Ryan Whyte: NU’s Big Man on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Her Campus Northeastern co-sponsored this year’s Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority’s BIG MAN ON CAMPUS, where the men of Northeastern competed to win the annual coveted title. This year’s winner, Ryan Whyte, won the judges (and the crowd) over when he said he deserved to be Big Man on Campus because he had “a really, really big… heart.” Her Campus Northeastern interviewed Ryan to find out what it’s really like to be the biggest man on campus.

Year:  Middler
Major:  Electrical Engineering
Hometown:  North Andover, MA
Activities:  Active member of Sigma Beta Rho Fraternity, drumming, killing time with my brothers and sleeping every chance in between
Interests:  Drums and music in general, hockey (used to play in high school), reading

What’s it like to be Big Man on Campus? Do you get more attention from girls now?
It feels really great and fills me with a lot of pride, especially since so many of my brothers and friends helped out along the way and came out to support me the night of the event. In my head I definitely get more attention from girls and am a huge deal all around campus, but in reality nothing’s really changed other than my ego inflating to a point where my roommates are probably going to try and smother me in sleep if they hear anything else about my new title.

Why did you decide to participate in Big Man on Campus?
Shannon, who was organizing the event, and a few of my other friends from Delta Phi Epsilon really wanted me to participate since they thought I’d be a good contestant, and with some extra encouragement from my roommates/brothers I couldn’t help but agree to compete.

For those who missed it, what did you do for your talent portion of the event?
I did a drum cover of Say Aah by Trey Songz.

On stage, you told the crowd your favorite pickup line. Care to repeat it?
My pickup line was “If I flip a coin, what are my chances of getting tail?”

Congratualtions, Ryan!

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.