sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Retail Therapy: A Story of Betrayal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Who doesn’t love a little retail therapy? Sometimes, nothing else feels better. But what if the one thing that gives you the most joy is simultaneously stabbing you in the back? If you see the following labels and signs, proceed with caution!

1. Two for one/”BOGO”

Two for one deals are incredible, if you actually have use for the second one. But here’s the problem: You see something for $12.99 and you really want it. And it’s on sale at two for $20! So you get on that and purchase two of the exact same item. Do you see a problem here? If you’re going to use both, then the answer is no. But if you don’t even really need the first one, the answer is yes. Don’t buy two of an item just because it’s on sale, especially if you won’t even use the first one.

2. Suggested Retail PriceSure, the suggested retail price of that super adorable dress you like is $499, but what really matters is the price that you’re actually responsible for. And suggested price by who? There probably is a method used to find some sort of suggested price, but here’s the deal: The suggested retail price is always ridiculous so you look at it and then look at how much the store actually wants you to pay and think, “Wow! I’m getting such a great deal!” Don’t fall for it.

3. “You Saved”

You find this adorable coat, but but you don’t think it’s worth $80. But you take a closer look at the tag and realize that the item has been marked down $30. Sounds like a great deal! But did you save $30 on that coat because the tag told you that you did, or did you spend $50? These are the real questions to consider. But even more important: Was it worth the money you paid for it.

4. $50 T-shirtsLadies, don’t buy the brand. I repeat: Do not buy the brand. Certain brands out there are charging for the few inches of lettering that appear on their merchandise. But the blame is not on them. The blame is on the people who buy into it. Don’t be one of those people. I understand the desire to have an item or two with a famous label on it. But if your closet is something straight out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog, you might need to re-evaluate. Your wallet will thank you.

5. “Free Item With Your Purchase”How many times have you seen this promotion and realized that you needed said item, solely because it came with something free. Take a step back and realize that free isn’t really free. Sure, you get a “free” item, but chances are you’ve already made up for the cost of that freebie by purchasing the initial item. Be wary of the word “free” in retail.

6. “Limited Time Offer”

First off, it may only be available for a while, but that doesn’t mean that your life will end if you don’t drop everything and buy it now. And, get this, you might not actually need it in the first place! Second of all, sometimes “limited time offer” means something will basically be available forever so there really is no rush. Whatever the case, that label doesn’t mean something is worth a huge price tag. 

Well there you have it, collegiettes! Be smart with your money and don’t let retailers hit your wallet where it hurts.

Hope Oje

Northeastern

My name is Hope and I'm a Communication Studies major. I chose to be a Communication Studies major because I love learning about different media and how each type affects the audience in a different way. Also, this major puts me on the path toward a publishing job, which is important to me. I was born in Oakland, California and raised in Richmond, California, but I've lived in South Jersey for the past five years. Some of my interests include playing tennis, watching tennis, and spending time with my friends and family.
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!