Response: Boston College Fashion Week 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

On Saturday, October 4, Her Campus Media hosted College Fashion Week, a three-hour fashion event that took place at The Estate Club and featured hair products from TRESemme, foundation from bareMinerals and clothing from the boohoo fashion closet. Each attendee was given a swag bag containing a few freebies as well as coupons from this year’s sponsors, and the event itself included an hour-long fashion show that interspersed three catwalk looks from boohoo (titled “Imperial,” “Brooklyn Princess,” and “Woodlander”) with performances by dance and music groups from various Boston schools.

Last year, I was a model at College Fashion Week; this year, I went as an attendee. Although it was more relaxing watching from offstage than walking on, there were definitely some perks to modeling that I didn’t have when I went to the event as just another college girl with an interest in fashion. While the models were given burritos from Chipotle at lunchtime, the actual College Fashion Week event didn’t include food – unless you count the mini Luna bar in my swag bag or the cherries that came with my Shirley Temple. Furthermore, this year my friends and I waited outside for an hour to be let in, while last year I remember spending the first hour of the evening relaxing and chatting with the other models backstage.

That being said, I still had a great time at this year’s College Fashion Week; I thought the event was well constructed and the models all did a great job. All of the sponsors were on-site: TRESemme offered free hairstyling while bareMinerals handed out samples of foundation. The runway show’s final scene had me dancing in place, and I’m already looking forward to next year’s event. Who knows? Maybe I’ll decide to model again. But now that I’ve experienced the show from both sides, I know that I can have a fantastic time either way. 

Gwen Schanker

Northeastern

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: