Recipes for Your Dorm Room: Cold Weather Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

You might have gotten excited about having your very own kitchen at the start of the semester. You may have even bought some adorable baking ware in preparation for those Instagram-worthy treats. But now those cupcake liners are sitting in a drawer and you barely have time to grab breakfast on your way out the door. On the nights you do have time to cook, it seems like way too much effort. If you’re a freshman, the dining hall has quickly lost its appeal. And frankly, sometimes walking anywhere to get food seems rather dreadful. The last thing anyone wants to do is crawl out of a warm bed on a cold day.

Here are some easy tips and recipes for those busy days, those days you just can’t be bothered, and those days you want to change it up a little bit!

Disclaimer: All the recipes below do NOT require a stovetop or oven. Fridges and microwaves only!

1.     Overnight Oatmeal: Easiest “recipe” ever and super adaptable

Mix together about ¼ cup of oats and no more than ½ cup of liquid (water, almond milk, regular milk). Or use a pre-measured packet of instant oats and the suggested amount of liquid.

Options:

a.     Leave it as is. Try adding cinnamon and dates with honey, ½ of a banana, mashed, with peanut butter or whatever you like – the possibilities are endless. Then stick it in the fridge for, you guessed it, overnight. (Tip: if you use a mixture of rolled oats and, for example, steel-cut oats – just something sturdier – the mixture should last at least a day before becoming too soggy).

b.     In the morning, top with nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews), fruit, granola, maybe a little maple syrup, more milk or Greek yogurt and you’re good to go!

c.      My favorite combo? I grate or chop up an apple into small pieces and stick it in a bowl, coat it all in cinnamon, cover it, and stick it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. The apple goes on top of the oats and the whole thing gets drizzled with almond butter (and maple syrup if I’m extra fancy).

2.     Sweet Potato is your new best friend!

Sweet potatoes go great with practically everything, and they’re good for you!

Serve:

·      With cinnamon and almond butter for a snack or small meal

·      With mixed vegetables such as tomatoes, cauliflower/broccoli, pepper, greens, cheese such as feta, goat cheese, parmesan or mozzarella, and maybe some chicken (most of which you can buy fresh or frozen) for a full meal.

Prepare and Cook (about 10-12 minutes total)*:

-Scrub the sweet potato with a brush under running water to get rid of any residual dirt

-Pierce it with a fork all the way around (you don’t want a messy orange explosion in your microwave)

-Wrap the potato in a paper towel and cook in the microwave for about four minutes, flip and cook on the other side for another 4 minutes (give or take depending on the size of the potato and the strength of the microwave). And that’s it! When it’s done, a knife or fork should cut right through without any resistance.

-Let the potato sit for a couple minutes and be very careful when taking it out out the microwave; it will be very hot from the steam.

*This process is super easy and way less time consuming than roasting in the oven!

3. Okay, so this next one isn’t exactly a recipe, but I highly recommend this time-saving trick:

Amy’s canned soups come in a large variety and are packed with veggies and alternative sources of protein (besides meat). Even better – they don’t require a can opener!

• Just pour the soup into a bowl or cute soup mug, cover, and stick it in the microwave. If you’re not sure about timing, heat in 1-2 minute intervals, stirring in between.

(Tip: If I want to amp up the soup, I’ll add an extra dose of greens – flu season can hit you hard in the colder months, so your body will appreciate some extra Vitamin C – and some cracked pepper. I’ll – carefully – toss in a handful of fresh spinach to warm soup, and stick it back in the microwave for no more than a minute to wilt the greens.)

Other easy no-cook additions to add to meals:

Lentils (you can buy them pre-cooked in some grocery stores, such as Trader Joe’s) are great served hot as a different source of grain/protein or cold sprinkled on salad.

-And of course, avocado. If you’re not sure if you can use it right away, buy them when they’re still green and firm and stick them in the fridge to slow the ripening process. Avocado is great on crackers, toast (if you have a toaster), with eggs, salad and even in pasta, as a creamy addition, or with lemon and basil for a fresh taste.

4.     10-minute risotto: These sound delicious! Warning, they do require some prep work, which could be done hours or up to days in advance (the freezer is always an option for storage of things you want to have on hand).

(from http://www.brit.co/microwave-risotto/?utm_campaign=pinbutton_hover)

Tips when following this recipe:

-I’m sure you don’t have to use ramekins if you don’t have them, bowls or mugs will do

-Make sure everything is chopped finely to ensure that everything will cook fully

-Watch the microwave carefully to prevent burning and spillovers

-Be creative and try adding other things to the base rice recipe (maybe even that sweet potato you know how to make)!

5. Ok, the last one is a dessert and maybe not for those who are in freshman dorms, but who doesn’t love chocolate?

Instant Chocolate Cake

Combine ¼ cup of flour, 5 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 egg, 3 tbsp milk, 3 tbsp vegetable oil and a dash of vanilla extract and salt in a large mug and whisk until smooth. Microwave until puffed (about 2 minutes – watch for spill-over and check to make sure it’s cooked). Top with frosting, whipped cream or just enjoy as is!

And just for good measure, I’ll leave this one here too: Cookies and Cream Mug Cake  

Recipe here:

Tips: Watch the white chocolate and milk mixture carefully (burnt chocolate and boiled milk are not pleasant and can happen in a matter of seconds in the microwave). Again, check to make sure the cake is cooked. And I would suggest crushing the cookies before adding them to the batter to avoid a major mess.

I could keep going, especially with cake and warm, fruity desserts. But, hopefully this list has given you some ideas and inspiration to think outside of the box when it comes to cooking in college. Have fun!

Hannah Pamer

Northeastern

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: