Puerto Rico: The Damaged Isla del Encanto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Courtesy of Time

Hurricane Maria was a devastating category five hurricane that hit the island of Puerto Rico on Sept. 20. The storm continues to leave its damaging mark on Puerto Rico, also  known to be La Isla del Encanto, the Island of Enchantment.

Initially, Maria left 50,000 islanders with no functioning water and millions without electricity. Now, roughly seven weeks after the storm, 867,000 people continue to live with no electricity, while others continue to live by using generators and lanterns. The most recent issue is the lack of food supply on the island as packages of food from the federal program sent to Florida and Texas have not been delivered to Puerto Rico. In addition, the federal government of the island has not issued food stamps for those in desperate need.

In 2017, Puerto Rico declared a state of bankruptcy as they have a national debt of $127 billion. The island has attempted to declare bankruptcy in United States legislation, however, because the US territory is not a state, it is not allowed to file for proper bankruptcy as compared to one of the fifty states. Hurricane Maria has only increased the severity of the economic crisis. Despite the debt and the damage of the storm, the US has capped the amount of federal help offered to the island, not allowing Puerto Rico to have the ability to recover entirely. Due to lack of rights and resources on the island, many natives have left since October 3rd to seek better educational and medical opportunities. Roughly 36,000 Puerto Ricans have fled to Florida as it is known to be the state with the most Puerto Rican-American citizens.

In addition to the loss of electricity, functioning water, and low food supplies, the hurricane also affected the agriculture industry. Eighty percent of the crops on Puerto Rican farms were destroyed, amounting to a $2 million loss in agricultural production. Unlike many of the issues that islanders are currently confronting, the problem of agriculture is being resolved due to the works of Plenitud. Plenitud is a company that educates younger generations on agriculture production and how to maintain rich and fertile soil in case of a natural disaster. Despite the damage done to crops, the program is attempting to rebuild the agricultural sector, potentially aiding the future infrastructure of the island.

Hopefully, the Island of Enchantment will be restored to what is once was, rid of the effects of the natural disaster and economic debt. To initiate change, the Massachusetts United for Puerto Rico Fund, sponsored by the Latino Legacy Fund, partnered with the Boston Foundation. Any amount of donation will be appreciated by the people of Puerto Rico. As a Puerto Rican-American with family members who live on the island, I know that the help of others is truly appreciated as any resources will be life changing for those in need.

Courtesy of Time

Ariana Matos

Northeastern '21

I am a Northeastern commmunication studies student with a minor in fashion global studies. As a writer correspondent the concentration of my writing are personal reflections on life experiences, fashion, media and culture, food and lifestyle. In addition to being a writer I am a leader for Her Campus NU's Snapchat account.  
Xandie Kuenning is the Career Editor at Her Campus and a graduate of Northeastern University with a Bachelor's in International Affairs and minors in Journalism and Psychology. She is an avid traveler with a goal to join the Travelers' Century Club. When not gallivanting around the world, she can be found reading about fairytales or Eurasian politics, baking up a storm, or watching dangerous amounts of Netflix. Follow her on Instagram @AKing1917 and on Twitter @XKuenning.