Northeastern’s Nataraj 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Last weekend, I performed at Nataraj, Northeastern University’s largest South Asian culture show of the year. Acts ranged from a capella to dancing to skits. This year, the theme was “Keeping Up with the Kapoors,” a hilarious spoof on Keeping Up With The Kardashians, which was maintained through the video skits shown between each performance. Blackman was filled with excitement, and the show went swimmingly. Although I never was trained in dance, I decided to join the Fusion dance act for Nataraj this semester, in addition to the Fashion Show where I walked across stage with my friends in my Indian outfit. I had an amazing time with my friends and the free catered Indian food provided right after the show.

Courtesy of Madhu Rao

Going to a majority white high school, I definitely never had the opportunity to go to this type of event; there were five Indians in my grade including myself. That’s why an event like this is so fulfilling to me! The fact that colleges, including Northeastern, celebrate diversity and puts on cultural shows for various cultures such as East Asian, South Asian, African American, and more makes me feel more proud of my culture than I ever felt back in high school. Cultures are vibrant and interesting; I strongly encourage you to go support your friends at any culture show they are performing in.

I am so glad that I performed at Nataraj this year and I want to continue to do so in the future. Joining the South Asian organization, UTSAV, and partaking in Nataraj for the past two years has added to my college experience. Not only through making friends, but also by helping me to learn more about my own culture, like what “Raas” or “Bhangra” dances are and how to dance in that way! I’ve become a little more immersed in my own culture and I couldn’t be happier about it.

And to anyone who performed at “Nataraj 2018: Keeping Up with the Kapoors,” congratulations on a wonderful show!

I'm a second year Pharmacy major at Northeastern!