In My Humble Opinion, the Small Wollaston’s Sucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Okay, there’s something that needs to be addressed about shopping on campus. The small Wollaston’s, located in the extremely convenient corner of West Village, is literally draining my will to live. It’s not like the cute, mini version of the big Wollaston’s (located in the Marino Center), it’s more like the little, disappointing cousin. There are so many things subpar about it.

Frankly, this wouldn’t be a problem if it were farther away, but the perfect location brings me back time and time again. I don’t want to trek through the rain and wind tunnel of West Village to get to the Marino Center Wollaston’s, when the small one is Right. There.  Yet, I do!

Me trying to walk to the big Wollaston’s ^

Why do I feel this way? Let’s look into it.

1. The Variety

Ok, I get that this isn’t super fair. Yes, the West Village Wollaston’s is smaller, so naturally there will be less variety of products. But you know what? Life isn’t fair. I want to be able to pick from more than six cereal options! I want the best flavor of triscuits, not the crappy salt and pepper flavor! (Rosemary & Olive Oil Triscuits are the best, and if you disagree, I can write another entire article on that). Why do they only carry crunchy JIF peanut butter?! Why?! And for pete’s sake, their Ben & Jerry’s flavor selection is pitiful.

2. The Pre-Made Options

You know how in successful chain restaurants/delis, the food is held to certain specifications so that customers know they’re getting the same things no matter which location they go to? Yeah, Wollaston’s has never heard of that concept. For example, consider the Mexican Fiesta Salad. At the big Wollaston’s, this salad rocks. It’s pre-made and great to pick up right after the gym. But at the small one? HORRIBLE. The smaller one uses iceberg lettuce instead of mixed greens, way too much onion, and 100% the wrong kind of cheese.

Not only does the “same” salad at the smaller Wollaston’s taste worse, it also is MORE expensive. Like, a whole dollar and a half more expensive. Smaller Wollaston’s… charging you more for worse salads since its creation.

3. More Crowded

Despite its obvious inferiority, the smaller Wollaston’s is always more crowded. Like, wait-in-line-for-10 minutes-for-a-sandwich crowded. This isn’t Rebecca’s! I want my sandwich and I want it quickly! And then, after waiting in the sandwich line for 10 minutes, you go wait in the checkout line for another 10! The bigger Wollaston’s has more people working the sandwich bar and more cashiers, yet here we all are, waiting in the smaller one instead.

To sum it all up, college students are lazy. Despite the fact that the bigger Wollaston’s is 100x better and I will defend it to my dying breath; I am too lazy to walk there, when the smaller one is right next door.

Northeastern Sophomore / Business Admin Major