This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

As a coop student from Glasgow Caledonian University, working in Boston has provided me with a lot of new experiences and, of course, traditions. With Thanksgiving steadily approaching and an invitation to spend the holiday with my family in Connecticut I was unsure what to expect. I really do not understand anything about this holiday or what goes on. All I know is there is a lot of food involved.

First, I turned to my trusty best friend to help me through the preparation stage – Pinterest. I searched through endless images and ideas for what to bring as a gift, I asked my colleagues, I asked my friends all to no avail. I decided that I would stick with a good Scottish tradition of making tablet, which obviously no one else would bring. Tablet is like a sort of cake or dessert from Scotland which is made with sugar, condensed milk and butter. Delicious!

Next I had to decide on what to wear, is this a formal dinner or a casual dinner? Pinterest seemed to go for comfort but with a little style. I decided to go for a sweatshirt, skirt, tights and flats. Seemed easy enough to me! However Thanksgiving was way more casual than I could have thought, everyone was happy in sweatpants and just to relax. It was an amazing tradition to be a part of.

Travelling was exactly as I expected – a nightmare. I am a total stress pot when things don’t go to plan. I had planned to get the 3:30pm train to Providence where my family would pick me up and drive to Connecticut, easy right? My boss kindly let me out at 2pm, off I rushed to catch what I thought was the 2:30pm train to Providence. Nope. I ended up on the wrong train, panicked and got out in the middle of nowhere at ‘Route 128’. To my horror the next train was over an hour away, I am clueless with travelling further than the Boston MBTA. So, I sat for the next hour asking and double checking when the next Providence train was.

To my delight a lovely lady confirmed one was just approaching, off I went with my mini suitcase and two bags. The train conductor stopped me to confirm if I had the tickets for the train, I showed him my MBTA ticket to be told this was an Amtrak train. What the difference is I do not know. In the spirit of Thanksgiving and for some lucky reason he let me on, for free! The train was jam packed, sold out and here I was travelling for free and 4 times faster than my original plan. I arrived in Providence in less than 20 minutes and couldn’t thank my lucky stars any more.

After such an ordeal, to be greeted by family was a welcome relief. I felt at home staying with my extended family and treated so well. I was completely spoiled meaning could not have asked for any more. I was shown around Connecticut, the casinos, taken to the movies and of course Black Friday shopping.

Thanksgiving Day was perfect. After sleeping in until about 9am, I got ready and headed down stairs. Feeling a little overdressed in my outfit I shrugged it off and was put to work. I helped with the basics, as let’s put it this way, I am not the best cook. I helped with unboxing things and washing dishes etc. When all the basic tasks were complete I was propped in front of the TV to watch THE best thing I have ever seen; The Macy’s parade. This is claimed to be America’s favorite holiday tradition and I can sure see why. As I watched the 89th Annual parade I was in awe, with over 8000 participants, celebrities, musicians, The Radio City Rockettes and scenes from Broadway! My favorite float had to be the Cracker Jack float which was a huge baseball stadium and a family taking a selfie which then projected onto a big screen. It was amazing.

Then comes food, so much food. We had a buffet style dinner and we had the tradition dinner of turkey, stuffing, gravy, mash, vegetables, sweet potatoes, and for dessert cheesecake! It was nothing less than perfection. I was so full for the rest of the day. For which I watched so much football. I have never watched so much football ever. My Dad is a huge Eagles fan so as you know, never ends up well for us. So here is my Dad before the epic defeat supporting them from Scotland:

However, my favorite part of Thanksgiving in general is the left overs. I can not believe how much food we had left and would eat left overs for weeks if I could. I was really impressed with Thanksgiving and the hospitality I received. Out of the 6 months I have been in Boston this certainly has become one of my favorite weekends and one I will cherish forever.

Lauren is currently at Northeastern on co-op from her university in Glasgow, Scotland. She is in her 3rd year working towards a Business degree and is spending her time in Boston with Northeastern's Global Experience Office. She is an enthusiastic member of Northeastern's DIY Arts and Crafts club as she loves to try to make pretty things, even if she isn't exactly any good. Her interests include travelling and she feels her favorite place so far has to be Paris, reading Harry Potter, blogging about her time in Boston and instagraming cute puppies. Although new to HerCampus she is excited to start contributing towards the magazine.
Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!