Laugh For Immunity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Since the start of 2015, one of our previous Campus Celebrities, Lilly Stairs, has been working incredibly hard on the 50 Cents for 50 Million Campaign to raise awareness for autoimmune disease and look for a cure. The campaign started in Boston, a city known for being a medical research hub of opportunity, and its growth would not have been possible without the dedication of young people like Lilly. The campaign hopes to raise $10,000 to donate to the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association to help better the conditions for those who live with these illnesses.

For the past few months, the campaign has been touring around Boston, helping those who suffer from autoimmune diseases such as Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, and Crohn’s disease through both hospital and private home visits. “Strength Bunnies” were delivered to children who suffer from this terrible disease at Boston Children’s Hospital.

Wednesday, March 25th is the first annual Autoimmune Disease Awareness Day in Boston. This is when everyone not just the 50 Cents for a 50 Million campaign team and its major sponsors such as Scion, Northeastern, and Genzyme can still contribute to make a difference and help the campaign reach its $10,000 goal. Restaurants such as Boloco, David’s Tea, and Bailey & Sage will be participating, with part of their profits going towards the 50 Cents for 50 Million campaign.

The big event of March 25th is the Laugh for Immunity Comedy Show at Laugh Boston at 7:00 P.M. 50% of ticket sales from the show will go to the campaign. Each ticket is $25. The show will open with the Unisons, Northeastern’s male acapella group. Then, local Boston comedians such as Don Zollo, Carolyn Plummer, and Dan Chrone will entertain the audience.

Can you name an autoimmune disease not listed above? Do you know someone suffering from one? Most autoimmune diseases have the same common cause, which means curing one will cure many. Participate in raising money and awareness this week and make a true difference!

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: