This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If you passed Jared Glassman on campus, you would probably think he was your average Northeastern student. But at only 20 years old, Glassman has accomplished more than most students his age. As a major in entrepreneurship with a minor in music industry, he has applied all of the skills he has learned to life outside the classroom. Glassman founded RecThisCity, a hip-hop management and production company in April 2010.

The idea for RecThisCity came to Glassman when he realized that his friend, the rapper G-Riot, was too good not to be represented. At around this time, Glassman had also discovered that he didn’t like working for other people. “If I’m putting in the hard work, I want it to be for myself, not someone else,” he said. Shortly after, he founded RecThisCity. G-Riot became his first artist, followed by rappers Ethan Jaymes and Jitta On The Track. The company focuses on managing hip-hop artists and producers, as well as on strengthening their careers. The RecThisCity team is small, allowing for personal relationships to be established between the managers and the artists.

Glassman became interested in hip-hop when he was younger, through his babysitter’s son, who would introduce him to the latest music.  “I remember he showed me Southern Hospitality by Ludacris, and I fell in love with Southern rap,” he said. He cites “obvious great rappers” like Nas, Biggie, Jay-Z, Big L and Eminem as some of his favorite artists, but also has an appreciation for new rappers like J. Cole and Big Sean. “I like songs that make me rewind a few times because the artist came up with such a clever line,” he said.

He admires Benjy Grinberg, the owner of Rostrum Records, the independent label of artists such as Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. “I’d love to meet him one day and just get on his radar and let him know that he has inspired me,” he said. If given the opportunity to manage anyone, Glassman would choose Eminem. “I could just listen to him rap whenever I want, it would be incredible,” he said.

Although Glassman is busy balancing life as a student, class work, a part-time job, and RecThisCity, he still finds time to consider the future. He hopes to ultimately transform the management and production company into an independent label. His goal for the future is to be doing something that keeps him “productive and innovative.” Although he cannot foresee the future, Glassman has high hopes for RecThisCity. “If RecThisCity is the company that brings me fortune, I will be more than happy with that,” he said.

Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!