Husky in the Spotlight: Natalia Correa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Almost every day of the week I pull open the handles of Stetson West Dining Hall, walk in, take a few steps, and a kind smile from behind the counter welcomes me inside. Regardless of how tired, annoyed, or sad I am, seeing that smile always brightens my mood just a little and causes me to smile in return.

It’s always a brief interaction. We smile, one of us says hello, I extend my husky card, she takes it and swipes me in, and then I enter the dining hall. Some days one of us will mix in a “how are your” into our quick acknowledgement, but not much more is ever spoken.

However, this Thursday I decided to stray from the normal, brief exchange and get to know the smile behind the counter, Natalia Correa, a little better.

Where are you from?

Colombia

What was it like growing up in Colombia?

It was very good for me because I love my culture. And the most important thing was that I grew up with all  my family.

Can you tell me about your family?

My family is very united and we always share special moments of life.

Do you have any family traditions?

Our traditions are very common, but we like to be together the most.

How long have you worked at Northeastern for?

I’ve been working for Northeastern since 2009.

What do you enjoy most about working at Northeastern?

I really enjoy [working here] a lot because I love to talk with the students. I like to know their goals and I share [things about] my career with them too because I go to school too. I also like to hear the different experiences that each student has.

What are your favorite hobbies or things to do on your own time?

I love to go out with my friends and I love to go to the movies with my daughter.

How old is your daughter? And what is she like?

My daughter is four years old. She is happy most of the time. She loves to share with her friends. She goes to school, she is in K-1.

What’s one piece of advice you would tell your younger self?

Every day be better to build a better future

What’s your favorite dining hall food in Stetson West?

The stir fry.